Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: new ascend system... what to get

i just dont know if i can really account for the difference in price between the outlaw and the elite... the 1070 is 900 bucks plus shipping. I can get the pioneer elite Pioneer VSX-81TXV for 628 shipped. i want the most sound for my money any thoughts.

I don't know about the Pioneers, but the Outlaw stuff will most likely have much higher build/parts quality. There is a 1070 owners thread on the Outlaw saloon(forum), maybe you could post some questions there.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

If you want bang for the buck, have you considered the 'new' digital receivers? I've read rave review of the Panasonic XR 55, and the 57 was released not so long ago. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=530504&page=2

If I ever decide to go with more than 2 channel, I'd probably get one of those. Supposedly, they sound amazing and are very cheap, so great bang for the buck. I've yet to hear one though...

Keep in mind I haven't heard any of these, but have done quite a bit of research. I was looking at the 1070, but found a 1yr. old NAD T773 for $1000. This was a few hundred more than what I intended to spend, but has great reviews and is the same ball park as the 1070.

Quote Originally Posted by tp7539
    found a 1yr. old NAD T773 for $1000. This was a few hundred more than what I intended to spend, but has great reviews and is the same ball park as the 1070.
    Nice buy!

David

The outlaw and NAD recievers are nice but they dont include any of the nicities the pioneer does such as hdmi up conversion, hdmi input and ouput, automatic sound adjustment with microphone etc. should I just forget about all of that and just got for the best sound? I dont know much about al of this i just want good features and awesome sound. Anyone with an opinion im interested in what you have to say.

thanks, greg

this panasonic xr57 reciever really has me curious but my mind cant stop thinking that thee is no way a 280 dollar reciever that weighs 9 lbs is going to out perform a 700 dllar reciever.....ahhh im confuseeeeddddd

Honestly, I'd go with the Yamaha or the Pioneer. IMO, Yamaha has made some of the very best...and word is Pioneer has seriously amped up their build quality to compete.

If you really want to spend a LOT of money, I'd hit up eBay for one of the top Pioneer or Yamaha models. Mmm...

In buying the NAD, my thought process was that since I was purchasing a new tv (and I could always add an hdmi switcher), I would go for a plasma with at least 2 hdmi inputs as well 2 component inputs. And since the receivers right now are in the early stages of adding HDMI capabilities, they seemed to be overpriced only for that very reason. Plus, I don't fully understand the differences between the HDMI versions, and it seems that until you get the latest version you won't be taking full advantage of the lossless audio.

In case this helps, my thought process in purchasing the NAD was that I would have the following components: HD Cable Box, XBOX 360, HD DVD player (Toshiba 2nd generation). For the cable box will use an HDMI connection directly to the tv but I'll be satisfied with using the optical connection to the receiver for this (I'm assuming it will take a long time for the cable companies to provide TrueHD sound over HDMI)......for the XBOX 360, I'll use component/vga to the tv and keep with the optical digital connection to the receiver......and then for the HD DVD player I'll connect that to the tv using HDMI and the audio will be 7.1 multi channel analog to the receiver. This way I'll experience truehd and dobly digital plus from HD DVD and future music/video discs that are made for that beautiful machine.

Finally, the NAD has alot of power and is very 'musical' as the reviews state. After the reading the reviews , I was just convinced that this receiver would do my future ascend 7.1 system justice. And hopefully I won't feel the need to upgrade anytime soon. This isn't an advertisement, just a list of the mental exercises my mind went through when making the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by greggle31
    this panasonic xr57 reciever really has me curious but my mind cant stop thinking that thee is no way a 280 dollar reciever that weighs 9 lbs is going to out perform a 700 dllar reciever.....ahhh im confuseeeeddddd
    I thinks it important to keep in mind that "out perform" is not going to happen. The Panny which I own and highly recommend, has warts, as do all receivers. I am not aware of a $700. receiver that I would trade it for. Unless of course, I could sell it, buy another Panny and keep the difference. But it's not the end all of receivers. The Panny is not feature rich and the remote sucks.

David