Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: new ascend system... what to get

Default new ascend system... what to get

Hey guys I just sold my yamaha reciever and vt-12 ventriliquist to my father. Im planning on buying a Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV reciever. Any thoughts on this reciever? I also own an Hsu stf-3 which will be used in the new system. Now for the tough part, i know i want a 340 se center channel but i dont know which fronts and rears to get. I was thinking 340 se's in the front and 170's in the rear. the space is aproximatly 16x22 where the theatre will be placed but the room is part of a larger space totalling aprox 16x30. I want good sound for movies and music. I want clarity and i want somethign that will play real loud and clear effortlessly. I just want a huge wow factor and something that I wont have to upgrade soon. ANY info or response would be appreciated thanks guys.

Clarity? Check. Loudness? Check in spades.

You'll definately want 340 fronts. What's keeping you from going all that way and having them at the rear, also?

You'll have to tell me how the Pioneer sounds. I've been told Pio's latest mid to high end offerings beat out Yami...but I don't know about that personally.

cost mostly i guess i guess ill add it up and see how much more it would be to do 340's all around

The CBMs will be just fine as rears...but for your room, I'd go all the way and get the CMTs and never have to consider another speaker system ever again.

our probably right. what in your opinion is the best receiver in the 500-800 dollar range right now?

Quote Originally Posted by greggle31
    our probably right. what in your opinion is the best receiver in the 500-800 dollar range right now?
    Which one has the features you want/need? that's the best.

David

I know the features i want but the wattage is the thorn in my side. Im looking at the hk 635 and im saying to myself " my yamaha i got rid of had more wattage" so its hard to justify. I want loud but i also that sound where you can just tell its high end at the same time. Is hk's 75 watts/channel that much better? how would dyou guys rate i against the pioneer elite or denon's? I dont know what to do.

Every unit you've mentioned is a quality unit. Don't get too hung up about which is "best." There is no universal best. We all have our favorites. Using someone else's hearing without knowing if it's similar to your own is a slippery slope. You'll be happy with any of these receivers unless you convince yourself otherwise. Relax and enjoy the music.

David

I have a Denon that is rated 90watts x 7, 20hz-20khz @ .08% THD. It sounds fairly powerful, but my old Outlaw 1050 sounded as if it had more punch at 65watts x 6. HK's are typically rated conservatively. My cousin had a top of the line HK AVR(don't recall model) rated at something like 80 or 100 watts per channel. It played extremely loud with plenty of dynamics. He sold it and bought a Yamaha because of audio issues....I think he mentioned sound dropouts that annoyed him. Look at all the receivers in your budget and compare specs. Don't let HK's low wattage figures scare you, they are plenty powerful.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

im really starting to seriously consider the outlaw 1070 even thought rated power is low, im beggining to realize thanks to you guys that that doesnt necissarily mean anything. anyone running this reciever?