Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else think AVS has gone downhill?

I think it is the folks that do not know a whole lot about subs/bass that are getting caught up in how low/loud a sub can get. The same thing is going on at HTF.

I am sure AVS/HTF are protecting ad revenue, as well. I have even heard that some boards have accepted "payoffs" to ban folks that dispute claims or post negatively about the payer's products.

I know John A. is very opinionated, but as long as you understand that, his posts are extremely informative. I have even gotten into it with him in regards to the CBM-170 vs. some NHT speakers....and referred him to the review that compared them to NHT's....only then did he give the CBM-170's a "they seem to be the real thing" out of him. And you know....it was an enjoyable exchange.

The bottomline.....free speech is one of the elements that makes this country what it is. I don't like censorship.

There is a lot of "noise" on AVS, just have to learn to filter it out. It is a shame

-curtis

It is AVS' loss to ban John Ashman. While annoying at times(most) he really is very knowledgable. I guess it means more of my on-line minutes for here, AudioAsylum, and audiocircle.

I recently got into it with him about The $ensible Sound review comparing the 170s with the $600pr NHT SB3s. He actually sent me a cordial PM afterwards.

I actually like HTF a little more than AVS right now....less noise. Audiocircle looks good, AudioAsylum has some good reading, but tough to navigate.

You got into with him as well on that same review? Funny...what did he tell you?

-curtis

I don't know if this link will bring you straight to it or not. Unfortunately, John Ashman deleted all his posts on the thread. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=3
    If you read enough of the posts and the quotes from him in thoe posts he's pretty dismissive of The $ensible Sound.

BTW- Those who don't already know I'm Tex-amp on AVS and most other places.

Being new to HT and AVS that thread was my 1st exposure to John Ashman.

He got me a little P.O.'d as it seemed (at least to me) that he was "selling" NHT and bad mouthing HSU. I sent him a personal message letting him know my opinions and gave him a link to an article that killed his latest argument. He pm'd back a little humble saying he could see my point of view. A few minutes later he deleted all his posts.

I am pretty sure John likes grandstanding. His PM's are a much different tone than what he usually posts in the open.

I got PM from Ashman under a different name, telling me he got booted. I sent him a regular email saying I would get back to him later.

I sent David Bott a PM briefly stating my thoughts on John, and that I did not like censorship. He wrote back saying John had been sending him some pretty nasty email, one of which he had to send to his legal person. I just looked again for the PM from John's new alias...and that has been deleted.

Anybody remember John's email address?

-curtis

Here's his company website

http://www.adnm.com/

While John did get under my skin as well I dont feel he should have been banned for his actions in those threads. He was deffinately the type to grandstand and tout his favorite speakers "Numerous" advantages over other competitors, though we all tend to do this from time to time.

I am an SVS owner and fully recommend them to anyone who asks, that said I do not discount any of the other direct market subs as I am sure with the similiar business model they still offer a better bang for buck than a B&M model in the same or even close price range. This is one problem I saw from John's posts that I usually do not see from SVS or any of the other brand reps, I never saw him recommend other speakers along with his own. He is a very smart man but it appears he is WAY to biased to provide recommendations. I wish people would atleast concede there are going to be speakers out there just as good if not better than the ones they own, sell, have stock in or whatever.

That said, I think the biggest problem with AVS is there isnt a standard to the way things are treated which is a shame. John is banned but others are not or will not be.