Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed on Center Channel & Plasma TV

Quote Originally Posted by KojiroTakenashi
    I think part of the reason he uses the Aerogel material is for cost-cutting. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the material is recylable - this way if there's ever a bad batch of cones, they can just be thrown back into the vat and made over.
    I don't think so....it is a coating. I imagine it would take quite a process to seperate it from the cone. Also, it is no longer Aerogel, but DaveF's own formula called polygel.....OK, maybe not DaveF's own formula, but he at least helped develop it.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by KojiroTakenashi
    I'm pretty certain that's what the CBMs and HTMs are for. While they don't have the FR on the lower end, they still sound great thanks to the design philosophies that go into all three product lines. I hear you about the 'lifestyle' systems, though...Sure would make a great gift for my Dad...and my Girlfriend...and her parents...
    The CBM doesn't really help me, as it is only a half inch smaller in depth - which is the crucial measurement for me. The HTM would fit much better in the center than a 340. But how will it sound with the 340's used as mains. Will they be loud enough? Will the timbre be the same? Just how compatable are they?
    DM

Quote Originally Posted by Deerman
    The CBM doesn't really help me, as it is only a half inch smaller in depth - which is the crucial measurement for me. The HTM would fit much better in the center than a 340. But how will it sound with the 340's used as mains. Will they be loud enough? Will the timbre be the same? Just how compatable are they?
    DM
    The timbre is very well matched, and the compatability of all Ascend speakers is excellent. I think it is definitely worth a try if you go the Ascend route.

There is someone on the board that is using the HTM-200 as a center due to space constraints. I do not remember who it is at the moment.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Deerman
    DM
    I experimented with the 200 as a center with 340M's when I got my 200's. It didn't work for me but that was probably because I'm used to the 340C. I think someone who doesn't already have the 340C should give it a try. The 340C just spoils ya.

David

I tried to go with the 200 center due to space but found that while it is a very good small speaker it didn't have what I was looking for to go with my 170SE's. i wound up with a 340SE center and couldn't be happier. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    There is someone on the board that is using the HTM-200 as a center due to space constraints. I do not remember who it is at the moment.
    Ahem!

To reiterate what I have said many times, I am very happy with my HTM center, but (perhaps fortunately) haven't yet heard what I might be missing by not using a CMT center. When and if I purchase a new TV and upgrade to SE fronts, a CMT-340 SEC will almost certainly be part of the package.