Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HTM SEs? Redundant, says Dave? Idea inside!

Default HTM SEs? Redundant, says Dave? Idea inside!

So, Dave, you've said before that since the woofers are nice n' efficient, there's really no need for use of the SE tweeter...

This is where I ask: But what if you take out the extra mid?

Not only would you get to use the new tweeter, but the speakers themselves should be smaller, too...Dominating the Multimedia and 'Lifestyle' market.

Just a thought.

In my current 7.1 set up I use four JBL N24's for my rear surround they have a 4" and tweeter combo and work quite well. I really would be interested in a small speaker like that from Ascend. The market trend right now is also toward smaller speakers, it would do well!
    My current illness includes the following symptoms:

TV: Sony 50” SXRD
    Receiver: Marantz SR7500
    DVD: Marantz DV7600
    CD Changer: Marantz CC4300
    Power: APC H15
    Speakers: (JBL) Soon to change to Ascend
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK2

I wouldn't hold your breath, it isn't that simple. Removing the second woofer does a couple of major things: it cuts the woofer surface area in half, reducing the low-end output and raising the required crossover frequency. It changes both the effeciency and impendance of the speaker. They may be able to compensate with changes to the crossover and re-specing the driver, but you might as well design a new speaker from scratch at that point.

Hey Kojiro, how ya been? Haven't seen you on 3DSS forums lately. Do you still have my old cbm-170 center channel?

Haven't been on the forums because the Ascends ate me. No, seriously...I spend a whole lot more time listening to music now. Maybe...too MUCH time.

I think that answers the question on the speaker...I can't wait to get an influx of cash...my current set'll get rear or "gift" duty, while I upgrade to SEs...Hmm...maybe finally put my new-used desk together and get CMTs...

In addition to what Brad said, Dave F. has his standards for sound quality. Just because there is a market for something doesn't mean Ascend will make something for it. In 6 years they have only come out with 3 speakers(5 if you count the SE versions). Ascend is not a company that is going to slap an extra driver in a speaker to have an offering at every $200 budget increment.

I'm talking about the removal of one driver, and the replacement of another. There are plenty of standard 2-way designs that can perform down to 80 hz...

Quote Originally Posted by KojiroTakenashi
    I'm talking about the removal of one driver, and the replacement of another. There are plenty of standard 2-way designs that can perform down to 80 hz...
    Yes, but how many can meet Ascend's sound quality standards? I think Brad's post covered everything that would go into making such a speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by KojiroTakenashi
    As mentionned is not as simple as that. Thats like saying "why not simply remove two wheels of the car and it would dominate the motorcycle market!"

Removing one driver would mean redesigning the crossover, using a different driver (as it probably uses two 4 ohms to make the speaker 8 ohms), changing the internal volume of the box, changing the ports, you mentionned changing the tweeter, so what do you have left, absolutely nothing of the original speaker!

Besides, Ascend already has a 2 way, the 170!
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 09-21-2006 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    Yes, but how many can meet Ascend's sound quality standards? I think Brad's post covered everything that would go into making such a speaker.
    How many? All of the speakers made by Dave, of course