Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn on dynamic compression, or turn up the center?

Default Turn on dynamic compression, or turn up the center?

I have 340SEs across the front, 170SEs in the rear, and Panasonic SA-XR57 receiver.

When watching movies, in order to clearly hear dialogue during quiet scenes, I need to put the receiver at around -25db to -30db. The problem with this is that loud scenes are too loud so I have to turn town the sound to -35db to -40db.

Should I turn on dynamic compression or make the center channel hot? I'm guessing dynamic compression since making the center hot will imbalance the front soundstage?

I would use the dynamic compression. Have you calibrated everything with a sound meter and a set-up disc like Avia?

Yes, I used DVE and Radio Shack SPL meter, although some have said to use the receiver test tones instead.

I read that the SPL meter doesn't read the sub correctly. Does that mean that if I calibrate everything to 85db (including the sub), the sub is actually too loud?

First I'd ask how low is low? What is the volume setting on the receiver when at reference level/85db?

Quiet passages do not seem to be a problem for me. I calibrate to 75dB, which is set to 0 on my pre/pro, and I generally watch movies at 15dB below that...which is not really that low.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    Should I turn on dynamic compression or make the center channel hot? I'm guessing dynamic compression since making the center hot will imbalance the front soundstage?
    For movies on my XR 55, I run the center channel 3db hot. I have a pronounced "dip" in my hearing center around 1000hz (human voice). Even with the 3db bump, I don't have it as loud as you need to. I suspect something else is at work. Possibly placement or room interaction.
    For music DVD's, I run the center channel at 0db. For redbook CD's I don't use a center channel.
    Is this a problem you've encountered with all movies?

David

DVE has a known problem with the subwoofer test tone, so even if you correct for the meter, it will not be calibrated correctly. I believe the problem is a known, consistent value that can be corrected for if you do a search. IIRC, it's either 10db too loud or too quiet.

I think its more like 15db?

It sounds like you need some room treatments. The "loud" scenes are probably reflecting all over your room making them louder than they should really be.

Default Dynamic compression

I have a different AVR (Sony) and listen to a lot of music but do make adjustments for movies. I don't have a significant issue with dialogue but more controlling intensity while keeping the voices clear for my wife. First I usually turn off the equalizer (usually set to higher bass and treble for music), turn on dynamic compression, and kick up the center channel 1-2 db. That usually puts it into a zone that is best for movies.

Michael

I'd say use dynamic compression/midnight mode, so everything's balanced but just the peaks are cutoff.