Thread: Some new CDs that I like...

Default Some new CDs that I like...

So today I took the kids to Barnes & Noble for some book shopping.

A couple of obscure CD's that I thought I would recommend.

As the kids were looking at books, I go to the CD section. I heard/watched a perfomance on Leno by Corinne Bailey Rae and decided to check out the CD. I liked what I heard and bought the CD. Bluesy and sultry.....check it out:
    http://www.corinnebaileyrae.net

While checking out music, they were playing a disc and the voice sounded very familiar. I asked who it was, and the salesguy said "Vienna Teng". Ahh, I have her first two CDs. Interesting, she graduated from Stanford with a computer science degree, and worked as a Cisco engineer. So she can sing and configure your network.
    http://viennateng.com

Not so obscure, I really like the new Five for Fighting CD.

[edit]I used to have Foo Fighters, but meant Five for Fighting.....my F's got mixed up.
    -curtis

I've been thinking of picking up a Vienna Teng disc - which do you recommend?

Looks like I forgot to mention that Vienna Teng's lastest disc is "Dreaming Through the Noise". I've listenned to it twice now, and at this point, I think it is the best of the three that I have.
    -curtis

I have the Corrine Bailey Rae. It took me about 3 plays to warm up to it. At first my thoughts were, so this would be what it would sound like if you mixed Erika Badu, Lauryn Hill, and Alicia Keys on syrup with a slow tempo British sound. I think I was expecting something very different due to the reviewer who was comparing her to Norah Jone(NO!). I now really like it a lot. She has a great voice. I'd love to hear sing jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    I have the Corrine Bailey Rae. It took me about 3 plays to warm up to it. At first my thoughts were, so this would be what it would sound like if you mixed Erika Badu, Lauryn Hill, and Alicia Keys on syrup with a slow tempo British sound. I think I was expecting something very different due to the reviewer who was comparing her to Norah Jone(NO!). I now really like it a lot. She has a great voice. I'd love to hear sing jazz.
    Yeah...no way is she like Norah Jones.

You should try Vienna Teng.
    -curtis

Made an edit to an earlier post....I meant Five for Fighting but typed Foo Fighters.

This past week I picked up the new Ray LaMontagne "Till the Sun Turns Black" disc....love it.

I "discovered" him when I picked up a free "new music" disc from Barnes and Noble a year or so ago and picked up his "Trouble" CD. Recently I heard a cut, "Three More Days" from the new CD, and really liked it, and Barnes and Noble had it on display so I grabbed it.

http://www.raylamontagne.com
    -curtis

I just jumped on the LaMontagne bangwagon myself. Heard a NPR interview/performance a few weeks ago and immediately drove home and ordered the new album from his website (came with a nice bonus compilation download). Been a long long time since the radio made me do that. Good stuff!