Thread: Special Surround Speaker in the future?

The use of bi/di/tri came during ProLogic days when the processor created the surround effect and the diffuse speakers helped with the illusion. Movies are now recorded in 5.1 and the use of bi/tri/di is just a personal listening preference these days.

I believe davef has said they are working on a new surround but it is a long ways off. I think he hinted it would be Fall 2004 but I could be imagining that. Wouldn't say what it was but said something like it would "be the new industry standard". No manufacturer has ever been so bold! ;-)

Quinn is quite correct!

During the old Pro-Logic days where the rear channel was simply a matrixed signal derived from the left and right channels, the need for ambient reflected sound was critical. Early Dolby THX standards even required this type of speaker.

With the introduction of discreet rear channels, the need for multi-polar rear speakers declined (as such Dolby THX standards were modified).

As Quinn said, it is now simply a matter of personal taste, there are advantages and disadvantages to both multi-polar and omni-polar designs.

Now, that being said, we are *slowly* organizing our thoughts for a unique dedicated "surround" speaker. It is a long ways off however and we are still uncertain if our thoughts are even achievable.

Happy New Year!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks, sounds very intriguing! I actually think that in the room my HT is now, direct speakers are probably better, but just thinking ahead (hoping to get a dedicated room in the future...

Intriguing indead. Do you ever wish you worked at Ascend. I do. I love trying to reach new benchmarks.

JH

Just my $0.02, but I bet a surround speaker design (based off the CBMs) like the Mirage Omni 50 or something similar which gets the benefits of both worlds would be a fantastic addition to the Ascend lineup....

http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/mirage_omni50.htm