Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone compare Ascends with Monitor Audio?

Quote Originally Posted by badassfajita
    You are definitely right about the midrange being more muted than the Ascends--the difference is obvious. For vocal intensive music like Norah Jones, the Ascends would be my clear choice. But the stuff I listen to is more high energy, dance, r&b, stuff where the additional bottom end and top end is noticeable. Even with both sets of speakers crossed over at 80hz, the RS6 has more thump than the 340's.

I keep on going back and forth and its driving me nuts!
    If I were in your shoes I'd probably base the decision on what % of your usage will be music, because it does sound like the MAs match your tastes more.

On the other hand, some people report that this type of "lively" speaker can become fatiguing after a while.

What's the most hours you've spent listening to just the MAs? I don't know how long SI are letting you keep them, but what you might want to do is spend say at least 3-4 days listening ONLY to the MAs, then switch to the Ascends and see if your ears feel immediate relief or if they immediately miss the MAs. There is a school of thought that such long-period AB listening is more useful than constantly switching back and forth during one sitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    There is a school of thought that such long-period AB listening is more useful than constantly switching back and forth during one sitting.
    It probably depends on the individual but long period AB listening is what works for me. Too many variables when doing quick AB listening for me to make "sound" judgements.

David

I like to mix in some unfamiliar music for ABing. That way I don't have a preconceived idea and listen more to the differences between how speakers present the piece. Instead of does it sound like what I'm used to.

"Airy mids" was what the salesman kept saying regarding "Chinese" speakers. Keep in mind he was trying to bolster his products and denegrate the competition.
    Last edited by Quinn; 09-11-2006 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks for the listening tips guys--well last night was a new revelation for me--I actually listened to the RS6's for the first time at a "normal" volume (not loud). Roughly -30db on my HK. Popped in the Best of U2 cd 1980-1990.

Bono...was in the background. It sucked. The bass was nice and the treble was nice but Bono was singing with his hand over his mouth. Now turning it up to -20 solved the problem--but just a few seconds more and I'm sure the wife would have starting yelling from a distance .

Switched over to the 340's---Bono was back! I started playing with the crossovers to see if I could get more midbass out the spkrs--even tried 100hz for the sub and 60 hz for the speakers at the same time...improved a bit. But then, I moved the 340's out from their current position about 1 foot (for a total of about 2 feet or so from the back wall), and wow, it opened up insanely! Bass was better but the soundstage just grew 2x. Sounded just great.

I'm gonna listen some more today and make a decision by tomorrow morning hopefully. ALso gonna try to pick up the Boston VR2's to compare...

yeah, the 340s do need a good 2 feet from the front wall. I once tried to have them about 6" from the wall for extra bass...bad idea!

I find that toe-in also helps a lot.

Thumbs up

Funny you mentioned toe in With the Bostons, I'd suggest using very little, if any, toe in. It doesn't really improve anything (I actually feel it's detrimental to the sound), and not toeing them in allows for a very wide soundstage. Whichever speakers you end up with, you'll be happy, as you took the time to compare, so you'll have the peace of mind knowing you picked the right ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCallas
    Funny you mentioned toe in With the Bostons, I'd suggest using very little, if any, toe in. It doesn't really improve anything (I actually feel it's detrimental to the sound), and not toeing them in allows for a very wide soundstage. Whichever speakers you end up with, you'll be happy, as you took the time to compare, so you'll have the peace of mind knowing you picked the right ones.
    I would expect toeing in of a speaker like the Bostons to push them over the edge from "highly defined" to "painfully bright." Though to be fair I haven't heard any Boston speakers for at least 10 years, so maybe their current models are different...

Well the final verdict is in--I am keeping the 340SE's. I *finally* got the ezsetup on the 635 to tame the harshness of my room with the 340's and it sounds great now even turned up. And I finally got the sub to play with the 340's nicely. I hooked up the RS6's one last time just to make sure and while it too sounded great on some tracks, there were times where I wanted to hear the Ascends just b/c of the purity in the midrange. I knew exactly how the monitor's top end would sound too--almost like it has the same quality for every song I threw at it. In the end, both were great sets of speakers, but the Ascends won by a nose for me. The VR2 really didn't play into the decision that much b/c it was just too big of a tower for my living room aesthetically. The RS6 would have been fine and actually was the most preferable by far, as they look fantastic and are only 33" high and 7" wide. Now to find some modern, spiffy silver stands to compliment the 340's...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Those stands are 42" tall! Need something around 24".