Thread: Which speakers for my apartment?

Default Which speakers for my apartment?

I in the process of putting together a surround sound system for my apartment.I have the 60" Sony SXRD television set,Toshiba HD-Dvd player,Arcam Avr 350. Now I need speakers. The living room where my set up is, 15'6" x 16',with 8 foot ceilings. I use my system equally for music and dvd's. I was thinking about 340SE's for my front stage. Since I am in an apartment,I do not want to drill holes in the walls,I would like to put the rear surrounds on stands.What can I use for my rear surrounds? I will use the STF-1 for my subwoofer.My place is not that big,that should do just fine. Thanks for the info.

Are the surrounds going to be to the sides of the listening position, or behind it? Will they be against a wall? If they are against a wall, you will be fine with HTM-200's which can sit on most decent commercially availabe stands.

Nice start with the Arcam!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Yes,the surrounds on the sides and against the wall.

you could go with the 340SE's and htm200's. id however suggest getting the hsu stf-2 instead. The extension alone would be worth it. there is a lot of stuff below 32 hz in dvds that the stf-1 will miss. LFE stuff makes dvds that much more enjoyable. The stf-2 may be bigger n more powerful but the extra headroom cant hurt. You wont need to run it very hard to get the sound you need. plus its only $100 difference. anyway thats just my 2 cents.

The 200's would be great on stands. Definately try to go for a bigger sub in that space.

Randy

Am I the only one that feels sorry for anyone that lives around him?

BTW, sounds like you have a great system picked out.

340 LCR + 200 surrounds sounds perfect. Aesthetically, the 200s match the 340s better than the 170s too. Sub? Don't know. Apt and HTs don't mix well. If you plan to move soon and/or you're friendly with your neighbors, maybe you can pull-off a bigger sub.