Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Suggestions for Small Theater

Default Speaker Suggestions for Small Theater

I'm considering the 340s for L/R/C and 200s for surrounds in my small theater only room in the basement (See attachment, ~1300 cubic feet). I was also looking to get the new 12" front firing sub from SVS.

The room will be 90% theater, 10% gaming for the kids.

Will this be too over powering for the room? I have a 7.1 550watt yamaha receiver.

Thanks in advance...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is the room enclosed? If so, 340 LCR might be overkill. 200s all around should fill the room with plenty of sound. Also, the pb10-nsd should be adequate in a 1300ft3 room I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    Is the room enclosed? If so, 340 LCR might be overkill. 200s all around should fill the room with plenty of sound. Also, the pb10-nsd should be adequate in a 1300ft3 room I think.
    You're right that the 10" would be adequate but who wants adequate. I'd vote for the 12" if the additional $170.-$180. is in the budget.

David

Thanks for the replies...

The back of the room has a small opening to the rest of the basement.

If I went with 200s all around, would you still use a 340 for the center channel?

Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover
    If I went with 200s all around, would you still use a 340 for the center channel?
    Thanks again...
    I experimented with this when I got my 200's and it didn't work for me for one big reason. I'm used to the 340M's. If I hadn't already been using the 340's, it may have been a better outcome.
    How bout the 170's with the 340C? That's a great match from all I've read on the Forum.

David

Thumbs up

Is your screen acoustially transparent? Or are you placing your speakers in front of it? If the speakers are behind the screen, in that size room, using 170's all around would be my choice. The L/C/R speakers would be on stands all at the same height. There are no lobing effects as one can get with an MTM arrangement, though I'm always in the sweet spot, and probably wouldn't even notice the lobing effect unless I was trained to listen for it!

If the speakers will be in front of the screen, then I would then go with the 340SE-Center, with 170SE's for L/R and surrounds. Don't forget the sub! My personal choice for an SVS is still their cylinder subs. My SVS25-31PC kicks some serious ass in the bass department.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

I vote 340SEs all around! 340s across the front wouldn't be overkill. My room is similiar and I have 340s across the front and 200s for surrounds.

340's accross the front may not be overkill but I'm not certain that much if anything is to be gained over the 170's. I experimented with my 340's in a similar sized room and really wish I could have tried the 170's for comparison. I'd rely on the guys @ Ascend to help me decide. They'd know which would give the best bang for the buck.

David

The screen isn't acoustially transparent, the speakers will be placed to the left/right and below the screen. From everyone's suggestions, I'm leaning towards the 170s for L/R, 340 Center, and 200s for surrounds.

Does the surround channel output that much sound to warrant 170s? Although, they're only $70 more, not that much in the grand scheme of things.

Lee... What made you get the cylinder vs. the box sub? The specs look very similar between the two. I would be looking to get either the 20-39 PCi or the PB12-NSD. The price is the same. I would be willing go another $50 and get the 16-46 PCi , but that would be the maximum I could go for a sub.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover
    The screen isn't acoustially transparent, the speakers will be placed to the left/right and below the screen. From everyone's suggestions, I'm leaning towards the 170s for L/R, 340 Center, and 200s for surrounds.

Does the surround channel output that much sound to warrant 170s? Although, they're only $70 more, not that much in the grand scheme of things.

Lee... What made you get the cylinder vs. the box sub? The specs look very similar between the two. I would be looking to get either the 20-39 PCi or the PB12-NSD. The price is the same. I would be willing go another $50 and get the 16-46 PCi , but that would be the maximum I could go for a sub.
    One thing is the footprint. Only 16 inches around. The other of course is that there were no box models when I got my SVS (serial number 10). I like the look much better as well, with that black cloth. The port aims up, instead of back into a corner, and the down firing driver seems to spread the sound out differently, making it harder to identify the sub.Though the 25-31 doesn't have the extension of the larger models, it is actually their loudest model in the PCi class. Mine has the upgraded driver, as well as an amp upgrade from 125 watts to 300, all from SVS.

As far as the 170's all around, I try to keep the speaker types the same, there is a difference between a sealed enclousure vs a ported one. Too bad you can't order both and see what you prefer.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC