Verizon FIOS has recently become available in my area, and in an effort to lower my internet access costs and increase speeds, I decided to give it a try.

FIOS is Verizon's new optical network. In the recent months, crews have been working to install the fiber optic cabling all over my area.

I had been watching the progress, and then one of my friends got it installed...so I called to setup an installation.

Currently, I am paying $45/mo for internet service through Adelphia(now Time/Warner). The speeds were pretty good, around 6mb/s download, and 128k/ps upload.

Verizon FIOS was offering 5mbps upload/2mbps upload for $35/mo....looked to me, so I went for it. Then they ran a special for 15mb/s down and 2mb/s for $40. Guess which one I went for.

The technician came out yesterday to install...it took 5 hours for all the work to be done. New optical line to the house, which is run into a new phonebox, as well as battery backup for the stuff.

Happy to report.....it is FAST!! Webpages just "pop" up.

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-08-27 20:23:30 EST:
14992 / 1803
Your download speed : 14992 kbps or 1874 KB/sec.
That is 288.6% better than an average user on verizon.net

Your upload speed : 1803 kbps or 225.3 KB/sec.
That is 113.8% better than an average user on verizon.net
One small glitch. The router that Verizon provides(Actiontec) currently has an incompatibility issue with my AT&T CallVantage VoIP telephone adapter. Apparently, it is a known issue, so I am using my own router.

So I save $5/mo, and get blazing speeds.

Verizon FIOS also offers television service. The pricing looks competitive. The technician told me it looks really good, but in the past weeks they had some problems, so he advised that I wait.