Thread: I'm very close to ordering a pair of 340SEs, but...

Default I'm very close to ordering a pair of 340SEs, but...

...there are a few of things holding me back. Perhaps some of you can comment.

First, before I get the mains, I want to be sure the center is going to work for me, and I'm afraid it may not. I realize that the 340 center is designed for placement above the set, but I'd really like to place it on the stand underneath. I might experiment with a shelf or wall mount later, but at least initially, I'd prefer keeping it a bit less conspicuous so it doesn't seem like speakers are taking over the family room.

In addition to that concern, things are further complicated by the fact that the 340 center is technically a hair too big for my stand opening. It's close, but it's 1/8" taller than the space between the center shelf and the metal support bar above it (see photo):

I can place it right behind the bar, but this would place the front of the speaker 3" behind the front lip of the glass shelf above and 3 1/2" behind the front lip of the shelf it's sitting on. Is this making too many compromises?

Second, I had originally thought that the 340s with stands were a pretty solid/stable combo—especially if the stand is weighted with stand. But one recent thread made it sound not-so-secure, and it described the bracket as being flimsier than I would have thought. I have 3 little kids, and this is in an area that they play in, so stability is a concern. They're pretty good (not a fingerprint on the SXRD in almost 6 months), but it needs to be fairly solid in case it's bumped by a baby stroller or a light saber. I had already ruled out most traditional monitors on stands as well as some of the less-stable towers. I've seen M&K's similar design, and that seems satisfactory to me, but it has a metal connection bracket. Is the 340 combo less stable than that?

Lastly, I keep reading about how the 340s can be a bit too revealing for lesser-quality material. Does this mainly apply to music? I plan on using this system for mainly movies and TV, and I'm worried some of this material will be suffer. I imagine the latest movies are of a good quality, but what about earlier titles? What about network TV and sports? Cable channels? Are these unlistenable, or just not particularly engaging?

Quote Originally Posted by datbeme
    ...there are a few of things holding me back. Perhaps some of you can comment.

First, before I get the mains, I want to be sure the center is going to work for me, and I'm afraid it may not. I realize that the 340 center is designed for placement above the set, but I'd really like to place it on the stand underneath. I might experiment with a shelf or wall mount later, but at least initially, I'd prefer keeping it a bit less conspicuous so it doesn't seem like speakers are taking over the family room.

In addition to that concern, things are further complicated by the fact that the 340 center is technically a hair too big for my stand opening. It's close, but it's 1/8" taller than the space between the center shelf and the metal support bar above it (see photo):

I can place it right behind the bar, but this would place the front of the speaker 3" behind the front lip of the glass shelf above and 3 1/2" behind the front lip of the shelf it's sitting on. Is this making too many compromises?

Second, I had originally thought that the 340s with stands were a pretty solid/stable combo—especially if the stand is weighted with stand. But one recent thread made it sound not-so-secure, and it described the bracket as being flimsier than I would have thought. I have 3 little kids, and this is in an area that they play in, so stability is a concern. They're pretty good (not a fingerprint on the SXRD in almost 6 months), but it needs to be fairly solid in case it's bumped by a baby stroller or a light saber. I had already ruled out most traditional monitors on stands as well as some of the less-stable towers. I've seen M&K's similar design, and that seems satisfactory to me, but it has a metal connection bracket. Is the 340 combo less stable than that?

Lastly, I keep reading about how the 340s can be a bit too revealing for lesser-quality material. Does this mainly apply to music? I plan on using this system for mainly movies and TV, and I'm worried some of this material will be suffer. I imagine the latest movies are of a good quality, but what about earlier titles? What about network TV and sports? Cable channels? Are these unlistenable, or just not particularly engaging?
    340s with stands filled with sand are very stable. I can barely get them to budge, esp with the spikes dug deep into the carpet. You can improve the stability by using some velcro or other stuff placed b/w the stand and speaker.

As for sound, I listen to everything from hi-res SACD/DVDA, plenty of sports, down to DVDs/DirecTV of the Wiggles/Dora/etc, without complaints. Only a few news casts (e.g. ABC7 news in L.A. area) sometimes sounds awful, but it wouldn't matter what speakers you had.

The whole purpose of Ascend's ex-bac circuit is to compensate for being put in an armourie/rck on on a TV.

I have a 4 shelf BDI rack with the center on the first shelf down without an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by datbeme
    Second, I had originally thought that the 340s with stands were a pretty solid/stable combo—especially if the stand is weighted with stand. But one recent thread made it sound not-so-secure, and it described the bracket as being flimsier than I would have thought.
    I'm guessing you are referring to my "crappy day" post. If my stands had been filled, there is no way my kids could have toppled them. The connector bracket is plenty strong enough to keep the speaker securely fastened -- it only broke from the force of the speaker and stand hitting the floor with velocity and actually the fact that the bracket broke (taking the brunt of the impact) probably saved the speaker a serious ding at minimum. The point of my post was to say that the 340s are a rugged, quality product. Buy with confidence.

My kid was sitting/laying on the sub and pushing the very top of the 340 with her feet/legs, according to the other child anyway, to get the leverage to break the brace. The speaker was fine.

Default Center over SXRD

It looks like I have the same base stand for my SXRD as yours. I choose to mount over the TV vs having the rail overlap the top of the center. You would probably need to tilt it up slightly based on the height of the stand. I will try to find the name of the mount if you change your mind on mounting over your TV.

I have the 340's on their stands and don't find them unstable at all although I have no young kids. I would expect them to be pretty stable if you put sand inside the base.

I listen to both music and movies. I find the speakers to provide awesome sound and have not noticed an issues with movies. I really enjoy them.

Michael

DATBEME:

I also have the same base and wish not to wall mount the center channel. I considered a shelf for the LCDTV that will allow the center to go beneath. I haven't yet found anything prefabricated that looks acceptable (cinder blocks and shelf board do not meet the WAF). Please advise if you (or anyone) find a solution.

Default Center mount

The center shelf that I bought was the OmniMount Center Channel Speaker Shelf (CCH1B). It rests on the top of the TV and the speaker sits on top. It took just a bit of work to get it angled right but it works great.

Michael

Micheal, according to Dave in some previous posts you can request the center NOT have the EXBAC crossover. Honestly, I would make sure the thing is at or above eye level, but that's just me...Highs and floors don't mix.