Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Def

yes, that's what I keep reading, that the upscaling is better as the amount of conversion is less than what is necessary with the HDTVs (when seeking to improv the standard signal). Same goes for DVDs.

Not sure what the explanation for the 512 vs. 540 discrepancy is.

I have never heard of plasmas only displaying on 512 lines. Do you have a link for this?

While it is true that 1080i displays only 540 lines at a time, those lines are half the size of a display showing 540p. Also, plasmas don't run at 1080i, they run at 720p.

All I know is that with 1080i, you can almost read the play cards in the coaches hands during a football game. You don't get that type of resolution with an edtv.

Derek

All I know is that the clear majority of people find the EDTV plasmas no worse, or only slighly worse in picture quality as compared to the HDTV plasmas, even when watching HD signals. (Important caveat: This is from "standard" viewing distances of 8-10ft. or more. Closer than that, the HDTV improvements become more noticable.) For those who admit to seeing the difference, virtually all seem to agree whatever improvement of HDTV capable plasmas, they aren't worth the price difference at this point in time.

Couple that with the fact that EDTV plasmas handle SD & DVD better, then for most, the EDTVs are the better value.

When HD-DVD and HD become more prevalent, and the price differences start to shrink, then HDTV plasmas will rule the roost.

Again, these assessments are based on my impressions from reading dozens of threads over at the AVS forum.

I was just at my local Best Buy this afternoon and they had a 52" wide screen HDTV by RCA for $1232.
    I'm sure it wasn't top of the line (forgot to get mobel # for reviews) but for >$1300 it looked good.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Derek

Also, plasmas don't run at 1080i, they run at 720p.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Actually, HDTV plasmas do display 1080i. DVD res is 480p.
    720p is used for computer displays.

Rick

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Actually, HDTV plasmas do display 1080i. DVD res is 480p.
    720p is used for computer displays.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Plasma displays are fixed pixel displays with means they scale every input resolution to the native resolution of the display. Most hd plasma displays have a resolution of around 1280x768. Some displays have a few more pixels, some a few less.

While you can (and lots of people do) watch 1080i material on a plasma, the display is scaling the picture down (to 720p) to fit the screen.

What I was really trying to convey was that plasma displays are progressive displays as opposed to my crt based set which is interlaced for 1080i signals (and progressive for everything else).

Derek

Have had a Sony WEGA 60" LCD RPTV (replaced an Hitachi CRT RPTV). Use it for HD (and standard). Love it, wouldn't trade it, recommend it. I compared it to the Samsung and RCA DLPs as well as the Hitachi LCDs. Sony won.

I watch broadcast 1080i HD material all the time and it's quite a sight. I use the DVI connection for watching DVDs and upconvert the DVDs from 480p to 1080i. The results are remarkable and extremely close to HD for picture quality.

I certainly understand the allure of Plasma, though. Problem is, the one I really want (60") still costs close to $20K.

Regarding the person who had their sevice tech tell them to stay away from HD TVs because of their unreliability, stay away from that service tech. The reason many service techs say that HD sets are unreliable is they don't know enough about them to work on them to begin with. Most every service tech I've talked to either had little or no training on HD sets, or have to confer with the factory to understand what to do. I actually watched one of them take out his soldering gun while holding on the phone to the Hitachi factory, who was telling him, step-by-step, what to do. It didn't instill much confidence in the tech.

I had one very competent tech. He's the one that says the TV repair field is filled with guys that refuse to upgrade their training. He said they've worked on tube sets for decades and refuse to learn anything else.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
    Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
    Pioneer Elite 59AVi Universal DVD player
    CBM 170 Front L/R
    CBM 340c Center
    HTM 200s Rear L/R and rear surround (6.1)
    HSU VTF-3
    Monster THX certified interconnects
    DIY speaker cable (that's better than anyhing I can purchase elsewhere)

Bought a 42 inch Sony Plasma recently. Thought I wanted a DLP or LCD because of the price difference but every time I went to check them out, it was the plasmas that caught my eye. I'm glad I went the extra money to get what I really wanted. By the way, me viewing distance of seven feet is adequate for the screen size. Whatever you buy, go the biggest you can afford for an appropriate viewing distance.

picasso_04901@yahoo.com

While I don't really know anything about JVC's display technologies... Today I just viewed the new JVC HD-ILA rear projection TV. I "believe" it is based on LCoS technology...?? I viewed the 52" model @ Good Guys. I have to tell you I was really VERY impressed. The off center viewing was superior to any rear projection LCD or DLP I've seen yet, and the screen had absolutely no glare to speak of. I viewed it side by side one of the new Samsungs and Mitsubishi DLPs, and I REALLY liked the JVC. I was surprised by it, but pulled in by it regardless. I am going to do a little research/reading up on this display to find out more.. but needless to say it caught my eye. If you get the opportunity to look at one of these in your nearby GG or other store... let me know what you too think..?

I continue to be amazed at the advances in each of the numerous display options and competing technologies. I am going to continue to wait for now. However, it sure would be easy to succumb to the big screen hi-def TV craze. I just keep reminding myself that these are all being fed an HD signal, and there is still lots of analog stuff still out there to watch, that still doesn't view so great on many of these displays...

Dave.

My Panasonic EDTV plasma (42") arrives on Tuesday, and I can't
    wait! This is strictly for HT use, pre-recorded material only.
    I got the professional model, so I could get it stripped down
    (no speakers needed, thank you Ascend!) to just the features and
    input options I was after.
    After reading a very interesting thread at AVS, I'm going to try
    feeding it a 1080i upsampled signal from my Integra DVD player.
    A great many people are reporting a big increase in PQ over 480p,
    even tho this is the displays native resolution. I'm anxious to see
    for myself.
    Also I'll be running lesser quality sources (LD and possibly VHS)
    thru the integra and upsampling those as well. Should be interesting!