Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Def

Quinn,

Sorry for getting off topic some.. I didn't read your original post close enough. Also, thanks for the extra info on reliability (very interesting). I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled open for this side of my own decision making moving forward. Good luck on your selection. Let us know what you end up choosing when you do! In the meantime I hope other forum members continue to chime in on your original question.

Thanks again!

Dave.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">are trying to get people use to replacing $2-5K displays on a three year cycle<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's great news! []

This means my tv should be on its way out soon. I can't wait until it dies so I can get a nice new dlp set... []

Derek- Man you're an AV-oholic!!!

Quinn...with what you have learned, would you go HDTV, and if so, what would you get?

-curtis

I think I'm going wait but, I haven't gotten the estimate to repair my baby yet. I was really thinking a CRT RPTV because that technology has been around for quite a while and cost to size ratio. The Hitachi SWX20B line is what I have in mind. But that still has the HDTV factor.

The DLP, LCoS, and so forth are very cool and tempting but the technology is so new for the use. I have heard enough stories about leaking plasmas to scare me off that too.

When the kids are older I will convert thier playroom to a home theater and that will be a front projector without a doubt. BTW- Have you seen the home theater propaganda-"people with home theaters know were their kids are" and they show the teenage kids in the HT room eating popcorn and drinking soda with their friends?

Like Dave, I've spent a fair amount of time researching at the AVS forum and have concluded that plasma is the way to go, at least for me. Burn-in, black levels, 5 year life, and other commonly associated flaws with this technology have been improved or are drastically overstated to begin with. I expect to take the plunge within a year, likely a 37" or 42" EDTV if not HDTV. Fujitsu, Panasonic, NEC, Pioneer seem to be the most favored.

Of the rear LCDs, that Sony model Curtis referred to is about the best I've seen, particularly when it comes to off center viewability. I was seriously considering that one, but there was a long thread devoted to problems with that unit. It may have been corrected within the last month or so of production, as the speculation seemed to suggest the last time I checked that thread (couple weeks ago). Once I read that thread though, I started doing more exploration, and that lead me to the plasmas. If you get the monitors, without tuner and speakers, the prices get closer to the other technologies, especially if you consider the EDTVs.

I'm targeting about $2200 to spend. Some good Panasonic models, for example, are going for $2800-$3000 right now, so hopefully $2K isn't too far off.

Anybody willing to let me spend their money??!! I'm a worthy person. Surely either your God or my God will reward you for your charitable ways. ;-)

Happy New Year folks!

I've been doing a lot of research lately, and I like the
    Panasonic plasmas, especially their 42" EDTV. For home
    viewing, I'm much more about DVD's and laserdiscs than I
    am about Monday Night Football in HD, so this seems like
    a good compromise, especially since there is a 1500-2000
    dollar price difference!

Rick

(Celebrating New Years on the S.S. Poseidon!)

With living two days with my set out of the house I'm really starting to think plasma. I've aways read that putting a TV between your speakers isn't going to give the best audio performance but, man is the improvement shocking. The lower ranges is where the difference is super noticeable. Things like drums and stand-up bass have so much more clarity. But over all imaging, imaging, imaging.

DAMN!!!!!!!!

Rick -

another point in favor of the EDTV Plasmas is that the difference in picture quality is only slight between ED & HD, particularly at "normal" viewing distances, i.e., 10 ft. or more. Closer than that, the HDTV is more obviously better than the EDTV.

At least, that seems to be the majority opinion.

Greg-

The EDTV is very interesting to me. Am I right in thinking that 480 progressive is just minorly less than 1080 interlaced? What I'm getting from reading about it all is that 1080i equals about 520 progressive(512p is what I keep reading. Why isn't is 540p?) since only half the lines are refreshed at a time. Whereas on 480p all the line are refreshed at once. Am I understanding this correctly? Also upscaling on STD is supposed to look a lot better on EDTV since it is just changing it to progressive from interlaced and not adding lines.

I won't be buying anything for a while my repair is just over $200.