Thread: More musical receiver?

Default More musical receiver?

I was considering a 2 channel receiver like the HK 3480 for my 340 classics since I would like an improvement in 2 channel music over that offered by my Pioneer VSX-1014TX (which I'll be moving to a dedicated theater room). But it would be more convenient to have another AVR.

I've been wanting to try an HK since they are known for sound quality and I like the quadruple crossover capabilities. Would you expect something like an AVR-340 to be more musical than the Pioneer?

Quote Originally Posted by chas
    Would you expect something like an AVR-340 to be more musical than the Pioneer?
    Yes, I would expect the H/K to be more musical than the Pioneer. I have an H/K AVR-630. However, if buying a "musical" receiver today, I would buy a Marantz over H/K for use with Ascend speakers.

By the way, I will be selling my H/K and am considering purchasing that Pioneer receiver for home theater use. How well does it handle dialog with your 340s. And, does your Pioneer seem expose details well in music and dialog well with your 340s? Also, does it sound somewhat analytical or more natural sounding? I consider my H/K to sound natural and musical. Thanks

Thanks for the input 1Time...

if buying a "musical" receiver today, I would buy a Marantz over H/K for use with Ascend speakers.
    Have you heard a particular Marantz that sounds better than your HK with the Ascends?

Why would you want to sell the HK for the Pioneer?

The Pioneer is a decent receiver and does well with HT and television. Dialog is good, though not as good as on an Outlaw 1070 I tried for awhile. It is fair with music (CD)...I would not say analytical, just not as dynamic as I would like.

The 3480 is a very nice receiver for 2 channel music but it doesn't even have a crossover.

The 3480 is a very nice receiver for 2 channel music but it doesn't even have a crossover.
    That's one of the reasons I'm leaning towards an AVR instead of the 3480.

I can tell you that my 3480 and classic 170s are a very nice match. There is a reason that Ascend sells HK receivers ... they sound great with Ascend speakers.