Thread: 170SE crossover

Default 170SE crossover

Is the crossover in the 170SE the same one used in the 170's?

No. It is designed with the same 4th order Linkwitz(sp?) principles but for the new tweeter and driver. My understanding is the SEAS tweeter can be and is crossed-over a good bit lower than the old tweeter.
    Last edited by Quinn; 08-21-2006 at 06:09 PM.

Default Crossover

The crossover is Linkwitz-Riley? What are the crossover freqs of the 170 and the 170SE?
    Last edited by jerseydevil; 08-21-2006 at 04:09 PM.

The highlighted paragraph at the top of page 2 of The $ensible Sound review tells what the 170 classics was. http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...endreprint.pdf

You'd need to ask Ascend about the present crossover point for the SE. This was what I found- http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...88&postcount=1
    Last edited by Quinn; 08-21-2006 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    No. It is designed with the same 4th order Linkwitz(sp?) principles but for the new tweeter and driver. My understanding is the SEAS tweeter can be and is crossed-over a good bit lower than the old tweeter.
    Yes, so the woofer can operate in a lower, more optimal range.

Some of us were clambering for the SE tweeter to be put in the HTM-200, as we felt it was being shortchanged. David showed us that the small 4" driver on the HTM-200 is more capable than the big drivers on the 170 and 340 at producing higher frequencies, so the tweeter didn't need any fixing, because it didn't need to make up for the deficiences of a bigger woofer. Check out the spectral decay plot of the HTM-200. Tight.

The main drawback is the low-end of the 4" drivers... they don't have any. I always use a subwoofer, and can't even comprehend listening to music without one, so the HTM-200s do the job for me. They also have the ability to play incredibly loud, given enough power. A beefy pro-amp actually helps the 200s more than the 170s or 340s, since the 200s are not as sensitive, with the sealed design soaking up more power.