Thread: God, what a crappy day. Thank you Ascends!

Default God, what a crappy day. Thank you Ascends!

Today has not been a good day. In the space of 12 hours, we found out:

a) My wife's car, which has been on its last legs for some time, finally gave up the ghost.

a) The publisher for whom I've been doing layout work for the last 6 years or so is getting sold and cutting me out of the loop.

b) Due to financial mismanagement, The Trustees at Trinity College, where my wife teaches (and where it costs over 45 grand a year to attend), will likely have to deny an extension to her visiting professorship.

On top of the that, inbetween potty training two willful 2-year-olds, I have spent most of the day trying (in vain) to diagnose a persistent network/internet connection problem. So I'm in my office, testing various fixes, when I hear a very loud crash from the living room, where I find my girls cowering in the space where my right 340 used to stand. Both speaker and stand are lying on the floor a few feet apart, its mounting plate ripped in half. I let out a howl that sends the twins into hysterics. When I finally succeed in calming them down, and delivering a very stern lecture, I pick up the speaker and place it atop the stand. Turn on some Alison Krause to test, palms sweating, and her sweet sweet voice comes out as smooth and pleasing as always.

Some of you may remember my 170 rear plummeted over 7 feet and kept on ticking. Now this. Who could ask for a better product?

(Why the hell aren't the stands filled, some of you are asking? Well, don't. The 50lb bags of sand I bought somehow found their way into the girls' sand/water table toy and I neglected to get some more.)
    Last edited by sensibull; 08-25-2006 at 04:43 AM.

My kids broke the brace between my 340s and the sand filled base. The base was still in it's spot even though the speaker wasn't. Speaker worked fine.
    Last edited by Quinn; 08-21-2006 at 02:16 PM.

That sucks sensibull. I hope things start to look up for you and your family.

I've always wondered why the stand braces aren't metal instead of fiberboard. Of course, it would probably be easy to make your own metal versions.

Stuff happens in threes or so I'm told. Let us know when three really good things happen. I'll bet it's soon. Onward & upward.

David

Thanks guys. Just needed to vent. We are acutely aware how lucky we still are, all things considered.

Today is a brand new day!
    -curtis