Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you just get to listen?

Default How often do you just get to listen?

It had been a while for me to be able to just sit down and listen to music.

So last night at about 10:30, I positioned the ottoman just right with a pillow on it, grabbed the Sonos remote and my MX-700, shut off the lights, and kicked up my feet.

Went through the catalog of songs on the Sonos and listenned to a few tracks from various artists, and then settled on two albums that would relax me, Norah Jones "Come Away with Me" and K.D. Lang "Hymns of the 49th Parallel".

Just fantastic, the 340SE's and the Hsu, working together and providing me with great immersive music.....every detail like I was right there.
    -curtis

you're making me jealous curtis. it really is the little things that makes life great. i might just have to give my ascends a similar workout tonight.

Not as often as I'd like, but it's probably more accurate to say that I don't take the time to listen as much as I could.

I have HTM-200s on my work computer, but try to keep the volume down to not disturb others - luckily I have an office and not a cubical. Now that I have X-LS's on my home computer, I'll listen to more music while working on it.

As for relaxing, for some reason, just the first few few notes of Lucinda Williams' album "World Without Tears" puts me at ease.

At this house (I have 5 kids) it comes to first come-first served or the early bird gets the worm etc. If I can get home early and can manage to get a CD popped into the player before "they" get the TV turned on then I'm good to go. In fact, tonight is a good example. Got home and popped in some Led Zep and sent 'em all scattering. Sitting here typing this post and taking in some U2. Maybe a little Talking Heads next...hehe. I can manage this trick a couple of times a week. Life is good tonight.

Randy

i almost always have some sort of music playing when i'm in my room. when the cd/record/tape gets to one of my favorite songs, i try to get up from whatever i'm doing and take a seat in the sweet spot of my speaker setup.

i started moving into my apartment for my senior year of college today, and was pleased to discover that i will have a fantastic arrangement of furniture in my room for my listening pleasure. i should be able to get a nice 5 speaker setup with the center of my bed being the sweet spot. i'm greatly looking forward to many nights of falling asleep to the sound of my ascends
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

All I had throughout college was a little boombox. My sophomore year roommate was a physics major and had some huge DIY speakers.....we had some GREAT parties! We would crank those babies up in the dormroom and everyone would start dancing in the hallway.....ahhh....memories.

Anyways...listening to Van Morrison "The Best of: Volume 2" tonight.
    -curtis

During the summer I don't often get a chance just to sit down and really do some seroius listening because I am busy doing other things, but in the winter, thats another story Thats about all I have to look forward too during Chicago winters

Because of recent changes to our HT room (previously known as our livingroom), I have been able to convince the wife that the system needs serious recalibration and tweaking.

This has been a great way to allow her to let me just sit and listen to various music. I pick that which I love and is well recorded and I just kick back and enjoy.

Also, since she is a very social person, she vacates the premisis often enough (book club, scrabble night, etc.) that I can take some time to chill (or rock out) in front of the Ascends.

All good.

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

How often do you just get to listen?
    Not nearly enough

In some ways, the purchase of our 52" TV was the single worst purchase I have ever made -- between the wife and son -- it seems to be on 24/7...

When I find the time I am going to set up an ideal listening room at the office -- and the phones and emails will just have to stop for an hour or two each day
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Not nearly enough

In some ways, the purchase of our 52" TV was the single worst purchase I have ever made -- between the wife and son -- it seems to be on 24/7...

When I find the time I am going to set up an ideal listening room at the office -- and the phones and emails will just have to stop for an hour or two each day
    No soup for you for two months!!

I find that the kids usually have the tv on most of the time as well and piss-n-moan if I suggest changing the station or putting on music(unless it is kid-approved!).
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables