Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ascend vs Ascend vs Dynaudio

I think you answered your own question Get the 340s.

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt
    Mike/Curtis: lol Thats what I thought! But... I think one of the goals of the phase plug also has to do with the way it reflects the soundwaves, and that impacts the sound, so even a dustcap with a phase plug shape would probably have that effect. But anyhow it just looked pretty silly going back and forth though
    If the "phase plug" is moving with the cone...it is producing sound, which a real phase plug does not do.
    -curtis

The non-moving phase plug assembly on the Ascends also serves a function of cooling the voice coil. IMHO a phase plug attached to the cone is probably cosmetic.

Randy

I wouldn't go as far as saying that. http://www.preference-audio.com/phaseplug.htm It would still serve its main function, which is to reflect the mid frequencies and improve the phase. I guess it would produce sound since its pumping with the driver, but so would a normal dust cap anyhow. So it would still act as a phase plug, but since it pumps, it might not be a plug... So... Its... a.... phase dust cap?!

Alright! Soooo... I think I'll go for the 340SE... Now, do you think these would relegate the Totem Sttafs to a secondary system?

Currently: Nad 541 cdp and laptop are the main sources which outputs digital to a Behringer DEQ2496 digital Equilizer (used as a DAC and pre-amp), then to a QSC RMX1450 280 watts amp which is powering the Totem Sttafs.

Unused is Rega Brio 35 watts amp and the DIY 250 watts 12 inch sealed sub. The sub parts were purchased when I had Totem Arros, but then unforseenly upgraded to Sttafs which played a lot lower (to the 40hz) so it became a bit useless to add the sub... plus the amp has PLENTY of power anyhow..

So I think the plan is to use the 340SE with the sub & 35 watts integrated... But if the Ascends sound better than the Totems... Then it'll mess up all my plans... The 35 watts struggled a bit with the Sttafs, so I'm hoping the Ascends would fare better. They're higher sensitivity plus would be coupled with the sub.

But say I'm using the speaker jacks to connect the sub & Ascends, would the sub somewhat lower the load of the amp? I'm now thinking adding the sub to the chain would have no effect on the speaker and integrated amp since the speakers get their juice from the integrated amp and the integrated would still generate the lower frequencies it would provide to the speakers/sub... And actually, using that setup, if the integrated generates 'sloppy' bass... So would the sub.. as I'd guess it would just amplify what the integrated feeds it...
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 08-09-2006 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt
    . So it would still act as a phase plug, but since it pumps, it might not be a plug... So... Its... a.... phase dust cap?!

HeHe! OK, I'll buy that!

Randy

What does your reflection in a mirror look like when the mirror is shaking?

Distorted.
    -curtis

Not quite sure the analogy is correct... From my link above:

In any conventional loudspeaker, the highest frequencies of audio emanate from the area around the center of the cone and the lower frequencies are produced by the area of the cone that is farther from the center. In fact, the distance from the center at which a sound wave will come off a loudspeaker cone is directly related to its frequency. This helps explain why larger cone loudspeakers are usually capable of producing more bass.

Due to the shape of the conventional loudspeaker cone, the higher frequency sound waves tend to collide at a focal point. This causes phase distortion and a loss in clarity. As a result, accuracy and transparency suffer. This also has detrimental effects on the realism of the sound environments created by today's high fidelity digital audio and surround sound systems.

The phase plug pole piece extension improves driver performance and clarity by deflecting delicate midrange audio out into the sound space and minimizing distortion producing collisions.
    It seems like this would still hold true for a phase dust cap. Its definitely possible that it would generate its own sound, but due to the shape, my guess is that it would emanate the sound very differently than if the dust cap was flat...

I'd be surprised if a company like Monitor Audio would simply put a fake phase plug for the sole reason to fool its potential customers into thinking they use a phase plug... Especially if the fake plug had a detrimental effect on the sound. I would see that as an absolutely horrible move... I hope their marketing department does not hold that kind of power in their enterprise.... I'm pretty sure they put it there because it improved the sound compared to your regular dust cap...

Now wait.. Why are we talking about MA's phase dust cap! Lots of my questions are still unanswered

The phase plug pole piece extension improves driver performance and clarity by deflecting delicate midrange audio out into the sound space and minimizing distortion producing collisions.
    Yeah...but now we are back to the definition of a phase plug. Does it move or not?

OK...what are the other questions?
    -curtis

Hmmm.. Let me go back to the babbling and try to find them.. hehe To resume..

1) amp connected to sub thru speaker plugs. Does not reduce the 'load' on the amp correct? So this does not sound like a very good way to hook up a sub...

2) Given above config, 35 watts + sub + 340SE = ok? The Totems are less sensitive so I think I'm better off leaving the 280 watts amp with them... (plus the power amp needs a pre-amp which is the EQ, and EQing helps quite a bit for the Totem IMHO...). Wish I had two 150 watts instead of a 35 watts and a 280 watts, but oh well...

3) Will the 340SE take place in the primary system and relegate the Totem Sttafs to a secondary? Totem is almost twice their price! The bets are opened!
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 08-10-2006 at 01:19 PM.

1. I think you are right.

2. I think you are right.

3. I heard the Totem Rainmaker a month or so ago. Very nice speaker, a tad laidback for my tastes. I wonder if the shop has Sttafs that I can listen to. I am sure you will test the speakers in each system.
    -curtis