Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using non-matching surrounds w/340SE

Curtis, having had both types of surrounds (direct-radiating & Bi/Quad-poles), I really like the quadpolar QS-8 speakers from Axiom. I'm certain they are not a perfect timbre match to my classic 170's, but I cannot tell. You have me curious what a matched surround from Ascend will sound like. Would a pair of 200's actually improve the soundfield? Those QS-8's are impressive for rear effects, and have taken my system up a few notches. Even on multichannel music they sound great.

Whadaya think?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Hey Ed,

Like all things audio, it is something you have to experience for yourself and make your own assessment.

Surround effects are not just for ambience nowadays. Before DD and DTS, that is what the surrounds were for and the diffused sound was great for that, but now, the sound thar comes out of surrounds, IMO, is becoming more specific.

Engineers can create a diffused sound with direct radiating speakers, but can't create pinpoint sound with dipole/bipole/multipole speakers.

Don't get me wrong, I have heard systems with dipole/bipole/multipole speakers that sound great too, but with my bias, I always wonder how they would sound with direct radiating speakers.
    -curtis