Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HK 3480 or ? with CMT-340 classics

What external crossover did you get?

Maybe I'm being a little aggressive on price for the refurb...haven't had any luck at my price point. May go with a new one since the price is not bad.

At first I used the crossover in my sub but I realized that there was no high pass in it so my 170s were getting a full range signal. That is when I realized that I really needed to get an external crossover. I couldn't find any that weren't riduculously expensive so I ended up picking up a used ICBM. The ICBM is total overkill since it has crossovers for 7 channels but the price was fairly reasonable. I would check audiogon to see what kind of crossovers are on there. You might also look on parts express.

If you are trying to do this on the cheap I would just run a full range signal to your sub and use it's crossover and use something like this to cut the low frequencies from reaching your main speakers. This will help make the bass cleaner and will eliminate cancellation if you set both crossovers around the same point.

If you are patient you might be able to get one for $150-$160 but my patience grew thin quickly when I kept getting outbid. I will tell you that you would never know this receiver was not new since it was perfect right out of the box.
    Last edited by jermy4; 08-05-2006 at 08:22 AM.

I asked Dave F. a similar question last year. He recommended a unit that Hsu sells for $100. You can select the low and high pass points, but you need to specify those at the time of purchase.

http://www.hsustore.com/high-pass.html
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    I asked Dave F. a similar question last year. He recommended a unit that Hsu sells for $100. You can select the low and high pass points, but you need to specify those at the time of purchase.

http://www.hsustore.com/high-pass.html
    Yeah, he recommended that to me too. Like I said, the ICBM is overkill for what I use it for but it has even more flexibility than the hsu high-pass. If I had it to do all over again I would just go for the hsu product since it is cheaper and takes up less space.

Now, the real question is ... what crossover points do you pick???