Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK 3480 or ? with CMT-340 classics

Default HK 3480 or ? with CMT-340 classics

I'm moving my 5.1 HT (classic 340 fronts and 170 surrounds) into a dedicated room. For HT I'm planning on moving the 170's forward as mains (I have a good sub), and picking up some HTM-200's for the surrounds. This way I can take the 340 mains and move them out to the family room for use with TV, CD's, and radio.

To do this I'll need another receiver for the family room. The HK 3480 stereo receiver looks like quite a bargain (both for refurbs on Ebay and new at a few e-tailers).

Anyone have thoughts on this unit...or alternate suggestions?

Chas, I've been eyeing the HK 3480 also. I would like to assemble a dedicated 2 channel audio system consisting of the Harmon receiver, a pair of Magneplanar MMG's, an Adire Rava sub, a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v2.0 cd player, and a Pro-Ject Debut III turntable. According to Stereophile the HK 3480 is very good at driving the MMG's. I think you would be very pleased with this receiver.
    "same as it ever was"

Thanks Ben. I've been wondering if I should step up to a better receiver, but it sounds like you're planning to pair some nice gear with the HK. I have not seen the Stereophile article you mentioned...is it available online or in print only?

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalso...th/index1.html

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue19/hk3480.htm

Chas, on the Stereophile article look down below the info on the MMG's. The second link is pretty good too.

One more:
    http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/Harman...2.html?tag=nav
    Last edited by Ben_Wood; 07-28-2006 at 02:19 PM.
    "same as it ever was"

Smile

As you can see, I really have been eyeing this receiver!
    "same as it ever was"

Thanks for the links. I've actually read the positive feedback review (even emailed the author) and the cnet review....I'll have to check out the stereophile link.

You'll have to let us know what you think of the MMG's (I don't live too far from Magnepan actually).

I have the 3480 running my 170 classics and I love the way it works and sounds.

Thumbs up in my book. You should be able to get a really good deal on a refurb at the ebay store too.

Do you run a sub with the 170/3480 combo?

I've been bidding on the refurbs, but I've set my limit at $100 less than a new unit (at an authorized etailer) and so far have not been able to get one at this price!

Yes I run a custom built 12" sealed sub. The receiver doesn't have a crossover so I bought an external one.

Not sure what price you are shooting for but I got mine for $191 after bidding on lots of auctions for weeks. Under $200 was my goal.