Thread: Electronica anyone?

Default Electronica anyone?

So, up until now, I have not taken a good listen to the electronica genre.

I recently heard a track from Theivery Corporation, and last night I was at Barnes & Noble checking some stuff out.

The salesperson notice me looking at some of the Theivery Corporation's discs and demoing them, and suggested I check out a band called Zero 7.

So I look for them and grab their "Simple Things" disc. Although they are called an electronica group, the sound is smooth jazz like...I like it a lot. I ended up buying it along with a few other discs.
    -curtis

Electronica has become such a huge genre that there are now dozens of subgenres. Zero 7 definitely falls on the pop/easy listening end of the spectrum. For something a little more edgy/groovy check out Massive Attack, Lamb, Sound Tribe Sector 9 (more organic, played on actual instruments), Peace Orchestra, or Nitin Sawhney (blends in a lot of world music).

p.s. anything by Thievery Co. is worth buying.

Thanks!!

Might have to take a trip back to Barnes & Noble tonight.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by sensibull
    For something a little more edgy/groovy check out Massive Attack, Lamb, Sound Tribe Sector 9 (more organic, played on actual instruments), Peace Orchestra, or Nitin Sawhney (blends in a lot of world music).
    OK.....listenned to some tracks of the above groups, but none were to my liking as much as Zero 7.

Anymore recommendations?
    -curtis

Ummm... Sade? Just kidding. You might try compilations with the word "Lounge" in them, which is a subgenre into which Zero 7 is often classified (I know of a couple like "Private Lounge" and "NY Lounge"). Oh, and definitely check out the French outfit Air (specifically "Moon Safari" and the Virgin Suicides soundtrack).

OK OK......the edgy eletronica isn't my style, and I do have Sade's greatest hits somewhere...but please.....

I heard some of Air the other day and need to hear some more. I will check out the "lounge" classification.
    -curtis