Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any sa-xr570 owners bi-amp their 340s?

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    You got rid of your free expensive amps? I've heard lots of good things about the Hypex stuff and considered building a kit from DIYcable, but I should have an Outlaw on the way soon, so I should be set for power. I'd still like to try some decent "digital" amps sometime - I like the idea of high efficiency and low heat.

ICE stuff is kind of funky too - I'm assuming yours have plastic binding posts? Their output is balanced, so there's a potential between either binding post and ground - they have to use plastic or plastic covered binding posts to avoid users shocking themselves. Although, they may have changed the design in newer revisions - I don't know.
    Yeah.....I did.

Someone was interested in my NuForce amps, and then I became interested in the new Bel Canto amps after hearing one at the HE show. Bel Canto switched from Tri-path to ICEpower technology. Did some more research on ICEpower and came to find out that Bel Canto does not do anything special to the stock modules. OEMs can order modules with tweaks, but can not tweak them on their own or else they void the warranty. Jef Rowland even uses ICEpower in at least one of his amps. Anyways, I found some boutique amp makers that use the same module and got a good referal for the one I chose.

Yes...my binding posts are plastic covered WBT's. I haven't read anything about "shocks" yet though.

I justified the cost of buying the new amp as a birthday present to myself. So I actually ended up selling the NuForce amps (to someone different).

The particular modules in my amp are the 1000ASP's.

Here is ICEpower's site:
    http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/sw1022.asp

A 6Moons article (I know some folks are not fans of the 6Moons site, but it is an interesting read)
    http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatur.../icepower.html

By the way, I try to avoid using the "digital" label and use "class D" instead. Being a techgeek kind of guy, I think class D amps are going to gain in popularity.....sound quality aside, they can be smaller and are more efficient.

P.S. My electronics have been going through some changes. I also sold my Denon 2900 and bought the Oppo 970(that actually netted me some cash). Sold my Squeezebox and went with Sonos....this was purely for convenience and also added some functionality to my home PC network because of it.

Depending on how AdRok's experience is with the Hypex UcD kit that is pending from diycables.com, I would love to build an amp if the funds/play money allow for it.
    -curtis

Wow, I just checked out the hypex stuff in a little more detail. I'd love to build a 3ch amp with the UCD400's for my LRC, and then a 4ch amp with the UCD180's. Heck, I bet even the fronts would do well with the UCD180s (90w into 8 ohms). Cool stuff. Don't have the money for it now though, looks like a 2ch version of the UCD180ST amp (upgradable chassis to 5ch) would be around $650, which would put the 4ch around $1k. Could be worse I think a 3ch version of the UCD400AD would be around $1100 (wag). Fun stuff.

Really wish I had more time and money.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=29939.0
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    Really wish I had more time and money.
    Yeah....I know....and I don't mean to be a bad influence.

I'd like to try a 7 UcD400 amp.
    -curtis

You ARE a bad influence

I'm flat broke right now because I'm indebted to an ex, need to buy a lawnmower, plus got a credit card that crept up on me after going to a buddy's wedding.

Conclusion: I CAN'T LOOK AT THIS.

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH
    Jon O.

I'm using the XR57 and I'm using the dual amp feature in 5.1 mode.

I'm now curious whether bi-wiring would be better than dual amping, but I'm too tired to try it at the moment

What I mean by this is hooking up the unused channels to power the highs.

Currently in dual amp mode, the front speakers are getting 200 wpc and the rest are getting 100wpc.

In bi-amp mode, the main tweeters would get 100wpc and woofers 100wpc.
    Last edited by Grayson73; 07-28-2006 at 07:20 PM.

Here is a post by DaveF in regards to bi-wiring and bi-amping.
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...9&postcount=12
    -curtis

Sorry, there was a typo in my post so I've fixed that and provided a more detailed explanation.

Hi Curtis and all,

Wow, I've been away too long :-) Yes, I'm still trying to get a UcD400-based amp built and am eagerly awaiting Kevin at DIYCable.com's kit to be ready. He said late July/August timeframe it would be released, so I think I owe him a call to see what's happened lately. My 340SE's are dying for some beefy and efficient power and I can't wait to get this going.

Will definitely keep you all posted on my progress.

Edit: Wow, pics from Audiocircle link above are enticing...looks very clean and fairly simple. I'm calling Kevin today, I want one ASAP.

Best,
    Adam
    Last edited by Ad-Rok; 08-02-2006 at 11:29 AM.

hehe

<--- me living vicariously through Ad-Rok
    Jon O.