Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any sa-xr570 owners bi-amp their 340s?

Default any sa-xr570 owners bi-amp their 340s?

I tried it today and notice an overall improvement in sound. I know there are a love hate relationship with digital amps. What are acendies view on them?
    yamaha rxv 2400
    Ascend cmt 340 LCR
    acoustic research s20 surrounds
    Polk Audio PSW 404 (only thing that fit in my system)

I can't bi-amp my speakers since they are the smaller 170s =P

However, how would you describe the difference with bi-amping? Less distortion? Louder? Brighter?

I am not using digital, but I have been using NuForce amps for the L/R channels, which are class D, and just switched to an ICEpower based amp which is also class D.
    -curtis

I don't want to take things OT (okay...I do ), but, Curtis, I'm curious if you've noticed any differences between the NuForce and the ICEpower-based amps. Was it a positive change for you? I'd love to upgrade to some separate amps for my L/R/C in the future and I like what I've been seeing about these class D setups.
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    I don't want to take things OT (okay...I do ), but, Curtis, I'm curious if you've noticed any differences between the NuForce and the ICEpower-based amps. Was it a positive change for you? I'd love to upgrade to some separate amps for my L/R/C in the future and I like what I've been seeing about these class D setups.
    Well, the amp has more than 5x the power.....so I tried some crazy high volumes for a few seconds and everything sounded clean and effortless.

I could also swear I hear more detail....especially on not so good and older recordings, because I think I hear more "crap". When I get the chance, I am going to try and test this out.

The NuForce amps sounded great, but they also had a couple of quirks.
    -curtis

Sweet. The detail thoughts are intriguing. What are "crazy high volumes" for you? I've found that hitting ~95dB with my 170s makes them sound strained.

I didn't know the nuforce amps had quirks....care to share the dirt on them?

Mark - I aplogize for the OT...
    Jon O.

Crazy loud means I can not listen for more than a few seconds. I didn't use a meter. I never tried cranking up the 170's with the amp.

The NuForce amps, I could not use the remote trigger on my power conditioner for them. If I cut power to them, and then powered them back on, they would look like they were on, but the sound coming from them sounded weird or no sound at all. I would have to use their switches to reset them. So I left them on all the time...which was not recommended unless you leave your pre/pro on...which I did not do.

Also, when they were on, you had to make sure they were hooked up to speakers. I had thoughts of my kids disconnecting them when they learned about the cables.

A nit pick thing was their LED lights..the two units did not look the same. No lights on the new amp.

The ICEpower module goes into stand-by mode when it doesn't have a signal from the pre/pro.

There is another Ascend owner, Ad-Rok, that is going to be trying/building Hypex UcD based amps for his speakers. I am interested in how that turns out. Hypex UcD is more friendly to the DIYer.
    -curtis

Ahh, I've heard good things about the Hypex UcD units. I'd be very interested in seeing (hearing) how that project turns out. Hey AdRok, keep us updated
    Jon O.

You got rid of your free expensive amps? I've heard lots of good things about the Hypex stuff and considered building a kit from DIYcable, but I should have an Outlaw on the way soon, so I should be set for power. I'd still like to try some decent "digital" amps sometime - I like the idea of high efficiency and low heat.

ICE stuff is kind of funky too - I'm assuming yours have plastic binding posts? Their output is balanced, so there's a potential between either binding post and ground - they have to use plastic or plastic covered binding posts to avoid users shocking themselves. Although, they may have changed the design in newer revisions - I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I tried it today and notice an overall improvement in sound. I know there are a love hate relationship with digital amps. What are acendies view on them?
    I bi-amp my 340s with my xr55 and do notice a slight improvement too. The electronic phase correction feature is pretty cool but I can't honestly say I hear any difference when I use it. The High/Low Frequency Balance controls make more of a difference, I have it set so that slightly more power goes to the woofers than the tweeter.