Thread: HTM 200s so good I don't know what to do next

Default HTM 200s so good I don't know what to do next

[I posted this at AVS, hope it's ok to post here too]

I just received two HTM 200s. Wow, they sound great. I purchased these to see how they sound w/ option to upgrade to 170s or 340s and move 200s to surround.

I just returned M&K 651s. My first real speaker (former **** owner), and they sounded awful. I don't have a trained ear, but I knew it wasn't good. No depth, no clarity, fatiguing to listen to -- honestly, barely marginally better than the 12-year-old Acoustimass. M&K explained to me that they are "nearfield precision monitors, not playback speakers." Whatever. Would've been nice if you'd said that on your site, instead of "suitable for main speakers or surround."

These 200s...hate to resort to what's become a cliche w/ satisfied Ascend customers, but I really am hearing things I never heard. I can't imagine 170s or 340s sounding better, only...bigger.

I know no one can decide for me; any input appreciated tho. Glad to have found speakers I like.

P.S. M&K 650/651 are $400 each.
    Last edited by Trench; 07-24-2006 at 09:08 PM.

Well I never heard the htm200s, I did find in improvement going from 170se to 340se for my mains and it wasn't just volume levels or deeper bass. To me, they had even better imaging and soundstaging. Or couse being able to play louder with less strain is also a plus.

If you are satisfied with the 200s then stick with them. If you have the money and the space I don't see how you wouldn't be even happier with the 340se.

Quote Originally Posted by Trench
    I know no one can decide for me; any input appreciated tho. Glad to have found speakers I like.
    I have both the 200's and 340 Classics. I've experimented with the 200's both as mains in the home theatre and as stand alones in a two channel set-up. They do a nice job in the two channel set-up but they are not in the same league as the 340's. I recommend you audition the 340's. There's not much chance you'll be disappointed. They're an even better value than the 200's which are quite a value in themselves. I use the 200's as surrounds and am completely satisfied with them for that purpose.

David