Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jukebox Jr. project

Quote Originally Posted by sensibull
    But don't tell that to the friend to whom I am giving this for a housewarming present ;-)
    WOW! Great job, Sens. All my friends do is drink my beer. Let us know when you ramp up production.

David

Thanks David (Bikeman).

FWIW, here are the speakers I built to go with the Jukebox Jr. Since I still have everything to learn about crossovers, and I wanted the speakers to match in height (9") I decided a single driver design was my best bet. After a little research, I settled on the Aurasound NS3-193-8A1 3", which some independent tests by John Krutke over at Zaph Audio have shown to be pretty smooth from 85Hz to 15kHz, thanks to its nearly 5mm of xmax (both stats are pretty rare in a 3" driver). At a mere $20 a piece they were certainly worth a try.

The results? Well, let's just say they don't have the HTM-200s shaking in their boots But not bad at all, really, and when mated with a small sub I think they could easily hang with some of the better PC speakers on the market. And for my friend, who is about as far from an audiophile as they come, they will be just fine.

(The less said about the finish on the speakers the better. I've been doing woodworking of one kind or another for over 10 years and the secrets of a truly great finish are still as mysterious and unknowable to me as alchemy. The fact that they look about as aged as the radio was a happy accident I just claim was intentional.)

Kind of makes me want to go to a garage sale, look for some stuff, and try and build something like that.

I'd have to find a cheap PC to get started.
    -curtis

If you do give it a shot, I'd say look for a micro ATX motherboard because I barely fit mine. You could also try a laptop with a broken screen and use the monitor out port and an external usb hard drive.. That would have lower heat, be much quieter, and you might even be able to rewire the touchpad. I just happened to have the old Gateway lying around...