Thread: Interesting comparison

Default Interesting comparison

Hey guys, I hope it's ok if I post this here, I just wanted to tell someone. I work for an upper end audio dealer and today I decided to give a good listen to some of the speakers we have using my Alice in Chains Unplugged CD. I listened to Monitor Audio RS6, M&K 750 and Vienna Acoustic Mozarts.

I didn't bring my Ascend 340SE for a side by side comparison as that might look a little strange. I've been thinking, that considering the discount I get I wonder how some of the speakers compare.

The MA RS6 sound good. They are good speakers and they look nice. But they just didn't do it for me. On their own they have more bass than the 340SE but that's about it. To me the lower mid-range sounded a little too prominent. The highs also seem a little muted. Overall I liked them, but I don't think they would be any improvement (except a little deeper bass) then the 340SE. They retail for $1000/pair.

I didn't listen to the M&K very long as they sounded too thin and forward. I didn't like listening to them. I made sure tone controls were set to flat. Even with a sub they just sounded thin. Retail $750/pair.

Vienna Acoustics Mozarts. These speakers sounded fantastic. Very similar to my 340SE with deeper bass. I think they sounded a little more detailed and sweeter as well, although a side by side comparison would probably be necessary to tell for sure. They also have beautiful cabinetry. However, they cost $2700/pair. And with my VT3-MK2, I have far superior bass. The 340SE with a VTF-3 are about half the price of the Mozarts, and are very competitive, actually with much deeper and cleaner bass.
    Last edited by MikeS; 07-19-2006 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    I didn't listen to the M&K very long as they sounded to thin and forward. I didn't like listening to them. I made sure tone controls were set to flat. Even with a sub they just sounded thin. Retail $750/pair.
    This part certainly is interesting.

I've been meaning to listen to the Vienna Acoustics floorstanders around here, but never get around to it.

Neat comparo...thanks for sharing. I didn't know that anyone who worked at a brick and mortar store owned ascends....very cool. Not what I would expect you know, I'd figure your discount would sway you in the direction of what you sell.
    Jon O.

Heh, ya some of my co-workers were confused when I told them what speakers I bought.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    This part certainly is interesting.
    Not to me Brad -- certainly not surprising to me

THX Select specs ---

Thanks for sharing MikeS!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com