Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .73 ratio for Left/Right measured from?

Default Re: .73 ratio for Left/Right measured from?

Interesting discussion! I've been doing some careful listening to my Sierras and finding the speaker separation fairly critical to achieve proper imaging of a chorus of voices that are spread across the soundstage. I've been listening to the DVD-Audio of Gaucho (superb stereo recording!) and finding that the imaging really snaps in with a slightly smaller ratio of about .65 - just offering this as one more data point. I wonder if this ratio is dependent on the recording . . .
    Last edited by BarryG; 08-17-2009 at 05:19 PM.

I would think it is more dependent on the room.
    -curtis

beat me to it, curtis!
    i agree, room acoustics plays a massive part in all this; my last apartment was drywall, carpet, and mostly wide-rectangular. i ended up with near 10ft apart and 8 feet distance maybe? the place before that was concrete, and 8 apart and 10 away, long-rectangular with big open space behind my seating... my new place has them 15 ft apart due to furniture and 10 ft distance, not very ideal; but still sounds delicious to me, tho a tad under powered for the 170's. I have decided to simply drop center channel altogether-- I never liked how the speaker was lower or higher than the TV (if I had a projector I'd probably find a way to play it right through the screen). anyways, no room is the same and ALL factors should be considered, including your how you prefer it to sound vs numerical accuracy!-- but like Dave said, it is probably a good starting point
    Last edited by scape; 08-18-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I would think it is more dependent on the room.
    Also dependent on the monitor positioning used during mastering. I have always thought it would be "cool" if they would print on the CD/DVD various technical details of the mix (such as monitor distances, which monitors were used etc.)
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

That would be very cool!
    -curtis

My question is what is the better compromise. Being closer to this ratio but being closer to the side wall (about 6" to 10") or being farther away from the side walls to reduce first reflections but be closer together. I am sure it is probably just a try both and see thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dustwvl View Post
    My question is what is the better compromise. Being closer to this ratio but being closer to the side wall (about 6" to 10") or being farther away from the side walls to reduce first reflections but be closer together. I am sure it is probably just a try both and see thing.
    Simple enough to play around with. Whatever sounds best is always the best compromise
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

A .73 ratio measured from the center point between L/R to the listener? To me, and many other ears- that's just not enough space between the left and the right speakers to create a full soundstage. Keeping within a 15 degree axis between you and the L/R speakers, you can still seperate the speakers to a near 100% ratio. Say you sit 90 inches away measured from the woofer to the listener, then measure 90 inches between the left and right speaker. Toe them in so they come to a point about 24 inches behind your head. That will put you at an equilateral distance between all 3 points and keep you within the recommend angles to the speakers. An equilateral triangle setup, with a toe-in angle pointing just beyond the back of your head, is the most common way to setup a good stereo image. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: I don't know where I got my math from . But the wider the L/R get, the more extreme of an angle you will have to have them pointed towards you to create a good center image. But this is different than the 15 degree axis... Dave... what are your thoughts on this? Dolby and DTS both recommend an equilateral triangle for front L/R speakers with a near 45 degree angle toe-in.
    Last edited by InstantEulogy; 09-07-2009 at 10:38 AM.