Thread: If 340 LRs are so great...

Default If 340 LRs are so great...

... then why is it so hard to find professional reviews featuring *only* 340's? I see plenty of 5.1 system reviews which combine 340 centers with CBM-170's, but nothing about a 340-only 2 -channel or 5.1 system.

I love my CBM-170's and am finally going to make the jump to 5.1, but given the glut of reviews of CBM-170's and the lack of 340 reviews, it seems as if the latter hasn't been well-received. It's great to hear how many on this forum swear by the 340's, so wouldn't you think they would also be deserving of acclaim in leading A/V press?
    -- Scott

1. Ascend buys no advertisement. Many reviews are ad revenue related.

2. The 340SE has only been around a little over 6 months.

3. After a review a couple of years ago where the speakers were set-up improperly Dave Fabrikant came up with very strict technical knowledge/know how requirements for reviewers of his speakers.

ScottO,

Happy to hear that you are enjoying your CBM-170...

We have been asked by no less than 6 "pro" reviewers to review CMT-340. Some I have agreed to, others I am still considering, and some I have rejected...

Truth is, at this point in time we are not even able to adequately keep up with the demand for the 340 SE -- and while it might be hard to imagine given that this is our most expensive loudspeaker, it is our top seller and for a good reason.

Rest assured, reviews are in the works but these take time -- both for the review process and the publication.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I love my CBM-170's and am finally going to make the jump to 5.1, but given the glut of reviews of CBM-170's and the lack of 340 reviews, it seems as if the latter hasn't been well-received.
    So you didn't think it could have had anything to do with the 170 having been out for ~ 5 years and the 340 having been out for 1?

Azanon
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by azanon
    So you didn't think it could have had anything to do with the 170 having been out for ~ 5 years and the 340 having been out for 1?

Azanon
    I think it is over 6 years for 170 and 2.5 for the 340 but neither the 170SE nor 340 SE versions have been reviewed in their 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    I think it is over 6 years for 170 and 2.5 for the 340 but neither the 170SE nor 340 SE versions have been reviewed in their 6 months.
    So why in 2.5 years haven't the 340's been reviewed as mains? Did Ascend simply make a huge effort to get the 170's into reviews and didn't do the same for the 340's? Just curious why no press.

-- Scott

Scott,
    Do not let the lack of pro reviews determine if the change is right for you. The personal reviews of actual day to day users hold more weight than someone who only listens to a few CD's or movies with them. Sound is so subjective, each person finds what they like in a product. But when multiple users like a particular sounding item, you know it's something good.

With the 30 day listen option you really can't go wrong if you do the upgrade. Don't let some paid reviewer influance you to justify an upgrade purchase. Just my two cents.
    My current illness includes the following symptoms:

TV: Sony 50” SXRD
    Receiver: Marantz SR7500
    DVD: Marantz DV7600
    CD Changer: Marantz CC4300
    Power: APC H15
    Speakers: (JBL) Soon to change to Ascend
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK2

Quote Originally Posted by ScottO
    So why in 2.5 years haven't the 340's been reviewed as mains? Did Ascend simply make a huge effort to get the 170's into reviews and didn't do the same for the 340's? Just curious why no press.

-- Scott
    Like Quinn said, Ascend does not advertise, so professional reviewers do not "take notice" and review the speakers. I think early on, when the 170 first came out, Ascend did advertise in a magazine or two.

Then the reviewers have to find out about the speakers via "word of mouth". This process can take a while. Reviewers need to request the product, Ascend needs to have product available, and reviewers probably need to clear all other obligations first.
    -curtis

2.5 for the 340
    I was thinking 340 L/R per his title (if 340 L/R are so great then...), not just any 340. I believe the 340 L/R came out after the 340 center. And for the 170, i use the ~ key to suggest I wasn't for sure the exact # of years.

My essential point remained.
    Last edited by azanon; 07-11-2006 at 09:52 AM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player