Thread: For a ~1000 cubic feet room, what Sub would be the better choice?

Default For a ~1000 cubic feet room, what Sub would be the better choice?

I have already decided on the HK 240 or HK 340(whichever is the better value on their refurbs auctions)
    Ascend 170 SE's
    and I was wondering what sub I should get

I was leaning towards either a HSU VTF-2 MK 2/Hsu STF-3(don't know which one would be better for my tastes) or a SVS 20-39 PCI.

I know its only 2.1, but I plan on upgrading to front 340 SE in a few months.

The use for the 2.1>5.1 will be HT, rap music, and xbox 360(usually action/sports games)

Oh yeah the room is close to a square with 1 closed exit.

A small, nearly square room is both good and bad. On the one hand, you need less sub to fill it (any of the subs you mentioned would be plenty IMO). On the other hand, you'll have some ugly dips and peaks in the response of the sub due to room acoustics. Experimenting with placement to find the best sound will be important.

I'm not much help on picking from those subs - you really can't go wrong with any of them.

well my room is about 1200 cubic feet and i own a stf-2. i listen to rap as well. the stf-2 puts out very well. i only have the gain set at 10:30. but if i had to choose between the 2 you listed id probably get the stf-3. it fits ur tastes better i think. the stf-2 sounds awsome so cant imagine what the stf-3 would sound and feel like.

I have a STF-2 in a 5000 cubic foot room. Is it ideal? No. Does it do a good job? Heck yeah. I bet it would be amazing in a smaller room. IMO its hard to over do it with the sub. Headroom is always nice. I'd have a VTF-3 HO if my budget allowed it and I didnt live in an apartment. I would save $100 for a BFD. I dont have one yet but I hear they do an amazing job EQing a sub. I think that will be a big issue in the nearly cubical room.

Hmm, I will think about this some more.

HSU are typically said to be slightly better for music as they have a little more output above 20 HZ. SVS is said to be a little better for movies as they have more sub 20Hz bass. Both are excellent sub manufacturers and you will be happy with either. Between the two HSU the VTF-2 has a little more connectivity options and tuning options while the stf-3 will give you more output. For your room size the VTF-2 would be enough...it never hurts to buy bigger though as if you move to a bigger room you won't have to rebuy.
    Last edited by Jorge_Burrito; 07-10-2006 at 12:53 PM. Reason: missed post title

In such a small room, I would get the STF-2 and budget $100 for the Behringer Feedback Destroyer.