Dali Ikon 1, Usher S-520, Totem Rainmaker

Got to hear these three speakers at a new Audio/Video shop that has openned up near my house.

The room we heard them in was pretty live. The shop was still not complete and they will be putting in some room treatments.

At the shop, I was most impressed with the Usher S-520. Sounded very good, some emphasis in the bass, and a tad brighter than the Ascends.....but VERY impressive for $400/pr. If you can, get a listen.

The Totem Rainmaker was also very nice. Neutral presentation, but a tad laidback presentation. $800/pr I think. Also recommend a listen if you get the chance.

I caused both the Usher and Totem to bottom out the woofer. Not on purpose though, I just turned up the volume to get them louder. I had never done that to a speaker before...and I did it twice tonight.

The Dali Ikon 1 was my least favorite. Very thin sounding, sterile.

The impressions of the Usher changed though when my friend got to bring a pair home for a listen. The sound lost its fullness and sounded thin. Break-in maybe....maybe the room....maybe the equipment? Who knows?

The shop was great. Great service and atmosphere. They are also a Hsu dealer. http://www.hometheaterdoctor.com/

The real funny thing is the owner looked very familiar to me. At first we just thought it was because we live in the same area and went to school in the same area....but as it turns out, his real job is as an anesthesiologist...and he was the one that knocked out my son for his surgery! He just started this A/V shop because he loves the hobby, actually bought the building it is in.