Thread: NHT Classic Three and B&W 805S

Default NHT Classic Three and B&W 805S

Got a chance to hear these speakers today, and I was wondering if anybodyelse has heard them.

Both were nice. The NHT's a bit warmer and maybe not as much detail from top to bottom, both seem to have some emphasis in the bass. I think the 805S was more like the 340SE and I think I am going to try to get back to the shop with my speakers to do a better comparison.
    -curtis

Thanks for sharing curtis I'm curious how the closer look with the 805 goes....
    Jon O.

I had gone to the shop to hear the Classic Threes. After hearing the Classic Twos, I was not holding out too much hope for the Threes, but with all the posts about them on AVS, I wanted to hear them for myself. They are clearly a huge step above the Twos, but still not a "wow" for me.

Sitting next to the Threes were the B&W 805S at three times the cost. I asked to hear them and the salesrep obliged. Definitely more to my liking, but at $2500.....definitely not a "wow" from me either.

So maybe I am biased or spoiled with the Ascends....which is it? Maybe both?
    -curtis

To be honest I'm sure it's a bit of both But, that still speaks highly for the Ascends.
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    To be honest I'm sure it's a bit of both But, that still speaks highly for the Ascends.
    Well....I won't deny that.

It looks like tonight I will be comparing the 340SE's with Dali's, Von Schweikerts, PSBs, and Totems.

There is a new shop that openned up by my house that specializes in custom installations and they have an appointment only showroom. Someone shopping for speakers asked me to meet him there with my speakers.
    -curtis

That will be a neat comparison. I remembered listening around and checking out PSBs, but I never took to them. That was early in my speaker shopping days though.

Make sure you don't tell the shop how much the 340s cost
    Jon O.