Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 340SE impressions

Hi DVDIT,

I wanted to get back to you regarding what you were experiencing with the center channel.

First off – I thought it important to stress that you have been using and are used to listening to a very different type of loudspeaker. The Mirage is an omnipolar speaker and distributes sound evenly in all directions. It is a non-directional loudspeaker whereby our center is a directional loudspeaker. Sound will be projected forward, towards the listening area as opposed to spread out in all directions. There are advantages/disadvantages to either design. The one important advantage to a directional loudspeaker (especially a center) is that it retains the subtle directional cues within a movie soundtrack. Vocals and effects are focused from a source, rather than dispersed.

Also, if you look at the frequency response of the Omnisat, http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/me..._omnisat_v2fs/

You will notice the treble region averages about 10dB down from the midrange region. This will account for what you are, in reality, not hearing with the Omni center and what you are hearing with our center.

The 340 SE center is a very revealing and detailed loudspeaker – if it is on the source material – you will hear it as intended.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thank You, Dave. I have lived with the Ascend for a few days now. While I still prefer the Mirage Omni for HT, I just can't get enough of the Ascends on music playback. They are an amazing speakers. Slowly I am adjusting to the Ascend center. I have played a few tracks that I am very familiar with to see if I am missing any subtle sounds that are present in the Ascends that are not present with the Mirage and so far I couldn't find any. Every subtle detail I hear on the Ascends I hear it on the Mirage.
    The one important advantage to a directional loudspeaker (especially a center) is that it retains the subtle directional cues within a movie soundtrack. Vocals and effects are focused from a source, rather than dispersed.
    This may be true. But I am not sure how I could tell which does this better as I don't hear any difference here now even though based on their specific design the Ascend may have the edge. BTW, that FR graph is for Omni FS v2 and my speakers are Omni 60s. I have some hard decision to make. If I could afford both system I would keep both. Unfortunately I could only have one system and my listening preference is 90% or more geared towards HT. I will listen some more before I decide which to keep.

Soundstage measured the Omni 60s too. http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/me...mirage_omni60/

Hey Dave, when do you think you'll be able to put up some spectral decay measurements for the new SE models?

Hi Mike,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike^S
    Hey Dave, when do you think you'll be able to put up some spectral decay measurements for the new SE models?
    Thanks for the reminder

We are rearranging our warehouse to make space for a large delivery of parts which will arrive in about 2 1/2 weeks and start to prepare for the holiday season. I will soon have enough open space available to take accurate CSD measurements and this is very high on my priority list.. Not just CSD plots, off-axis, listening window, impedance etc. Now that we have finally updated the website with all new SE pics (except for the homepage), my fucus for the website is publishing a full suite of measurements for each product.

Coming soon... I promise
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Hi Mike,
    Coming soon... I promise
    Ya can't just have one of the summer interns from the marketing dept. run the numbers?

Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing them.