Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 340SE impressions

Quote Originally Posted by j_garcia
    Just becusae you don't think you are hearing distortion doesn't mean it isn't occurring.
    If it's occuring and we can't hear it, Why the concern?

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    If it's occuring and we can't hear it, Why the concern?

David
    You don't know it is there until you hear the same speakers without it.

I was a big non-believer in amp differences until the Austin GTG a couple of years ago. After hearing the different amps with the same speakers I'm a believer.

Default misc

(yeah not clarion, some other brand that i'm trying to think of, but escapes me).

Yeah i know it can get better, but 3K better? I just know that the law of diminishing returns applies to speakers and amps like it does so many other things, and for me, a decent AVR with Ascends is definitely reaching the point where one should only go further if they're REALLY serious about being an audiophile and/or are just made of money.

I'd rather just live with the H/K, and build a new PC, buy an HD-DVD player, get a better car, etc..... too many other good alternatives.

Azanon
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

It is difficult to imagine what increased power can do without experiencing it. Greater dynamics and control of the drivers will change the sound. With less chance of amp clipping, you will have cleaner sound throughout the frequency range. I had a 60 watt per channel Rotel amp years ago feeding a pair of Vandersteen 1B's. it was a dual-mono design, having two seperate power supplies, and was bridgeable into a 180watt mono amp. I hooked up one 1B to it while bridged to see if the increase in power would make a noticable difference. It was not noticable.......it was dramatic! Besides the things I mentioned above, the most improved quality was the bass. Tighter and better defined, as well as greater extension. I was kicking myself for doing it because there was no way I could swing another $400 for a second amp, and Rotel had already made a model change removing one of the power transormers and going with a single toroidal type.

One day I will have a dedicated power amp again as funds allow.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I'm just glad i'm more easily satisfied. It saves me a lot of money.

I'll just really rough it with my 340SE's and my H/K! * smiling sarcasm *
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by azanon
    Yeah i know it can get better, but 3K better? I just know that the law of diminishing returns applies to speakers and amps like it does so many other things, and for me, a decent AVR with Ascends is definitely reaching the point where one should only go further if they're REALLY serious about being an audiophile and/or are just made of money.
    I have to agree with that. I HAVE heard better-sounding speakers (another local Ascend owner has some $3K Soliloquy towers with a velvety midrange that floored me) but could not justify spending that kind of dough unless I made a habit of sitting in front of my speakers for several hours several times a week, intently listening to music. As much as I do enjoy my Ascend setup whenever that urge strikes me, both the urge and the time to satisfy the urge simply don't arise often enough to make the opportunity cost (about the only Economics 102 term I still remember, lol) worthwhile for me.

I have been playing with my recently acquired 340 LCR. While I absolutely love this speaker for music I am a bit disappointed its performance with movies. The center keeps letting me know it is there and that the sound is coming out of a box below the front screen. It doesn't do a disappearing act like my other speaker, a Mirage, and place the sound in the middle of my front projector screen. Also male voices have an unnatural high pitch to them. Granted I only watched only one movie, House M.D second season-disc one, episode title "Acceptance". I connected my Mirage back to see if this was indeed how the male voices sounded on the disc but it is not. Perfectly natural on my Mirage. Has anyone seen this movie and confirm my observation, please. FYI, my sub is HSU STF-2 Xo @ 80Hz, amp = HK AVR330. Thanks.

I have been playing with my recently acquired 340 LCR. While I absolutely love this speaker for music I am a bit disappointed its performance with movies. The center keeps letting me know it is there and that the sound is coming out of a box below the front screen.
    Due to limitations by my existing entertainment area and my new 40" LCD, i've been forced to just go phantom mode with L/R 340 SE's, and so far i'll have to say i'm pretty pleased with the output. As long as i'm relatively centered with the TV; not too far off axis, the voice is pretty convincingly coming from the TV. Even better, the 340s are exactly the same height as the bottom to top of my LCD, so i have no impression of the sound coming from above or below.

No sound is lost either with a 4.1 setup, because i do have the sub for LFE, and all center channel info is just redirected. Considering ergonomics too, I'm pretty pleased with phantom mode for now.

Azanon
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by DVDIT
    I have been playing with my recently acquired 340 LCR. While I absolutely love this speaker for music I am a bit disappointed its performance with movies. The center keeps letting me know it is there and that the sound is coming out of a box below the front screen. It doesn't do a disappearing act like my other speaker, a Mirage, and place the sound in the middle of my front projector screen. Also male voices have an unnatural high pitch to them. Granted I only watched only one movie, House M.D second season-disc one, episode title "Acceptance". I connected my Mirage back to see if this was indeed how the male voices sounded on the disc but it is not. Perfectly natural on my Mirage. Has anyone seen this movie and confirm my observation, please. FYI, my sub is HSU STF-2 Xo @ 80Hz, amp = HK AVR330. Thanks.
    Very unusual findings. In most cases, if one is happy with a speaker's music performance then ditto for its HT performance but not as often vice versa.

It sounds like you might need to recalibrate your HK. Did you use an Avia disk?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    In most cases, if one is happy with a speaker's music performance then ditto for its HT performance but not as often vice versa.
    Not really. In music, the center is not involved. My compalint is about the center.
    It sounds like you might need to recalibrate your HK. Did you use an Avia disk?
    I have calibrated my HK with Avia and confirmed with both DVE & S&V. I am not new to this so calibration is not the problem.