Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 340SE impressions

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    The ability to play higher volumes with less distortioni is definately an advantage for the 340SE over the 170SE. Although you may not play at high volumes very often, it is nice to know that you have that headroom if you need it.
    Sure wish I could get my hands on both of the SEs...the classic 170 actually had less distortion than the classic 340 when I ABed them, stayed perfectly composed at above 95db while the 340 started to show some treble break-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Sure wish I could get my hands on both of the SEs...the classic 170 actually had less distortion than the classic 340 when I ABed them, stayed perfectly composed at above 95db while the 340 started to show some treble break-up.
    So do you think that is due to the new tweeter or x-over (and/or combination)? I did hear what sounded like a bit of break up when we cranked it - it was clear the tweeter was not hanging in as well as the midbasses were, but it did not become harsh. I figured this was an issue with power, as we were using a lower power H/K for listening.
    HT: Marantz SR-8300, Emotiva XPA-3 (arrives today!), 5X GR Research A/V-2s, Adire Audio Tempest 15" sub, Oppo BDP-83SE, RC2000MkII, Panamax 5100, Panamax Max2 sub, PS3 Slim120G, PS3 60G (250G)

System Two: Marantz PM-7200 Integrated, GR Research A/V-1s, Panasonic BD-60, Denon 2900, RC3200 remote

Audio: Audioquest * Video: Bluejeans

My HT

Quote Originally Posted by j_garcia
    So do you think that is due to the new tweeter or x-over (and/or combination)? I did hear what sounded like a bit of break up when we cranked it - it was clear the tweeter was not hanging in as well as the midbasses were, but it did not become harsh. I figured this was an issue with power, as we were using a lower power H/K for listening.
    I'd imagine the new drivers are the main reason. Even a lower-end HK shouldn't have any trouble driving the Ascends' 8 ohm load and +88db sensitivity.

The new SEAS tweeters definitely have better composure at high output level than the older tweeters used on the classics.

Dave posted that at higher output, the tweeter in the classic 340 did display some distortion. This was very high volume levels that I never reached in normal listening.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    The new SEAS tweeters definitely have better composure at high output level than the older tweeters used on the classics.

Dave posted that at higher output, the tweeter in the classic 340 did display some distortion. This was very high volume levels that I never reached in normal listening.
    I've heard SEAS drivers in other speakers and I was quite pleased; in fact one of the brands is a personal favorite of mine and the tweeter was one aspect of them that I was really impressed with. I don't doubt they have great power handling, which is why I'd like to throw a ton of power at them and see what they can do. I was actually surprised at the level the 340s were able to reach with the amount of power provided (stereo only for the H/K, and I know H/K has solid power supplies). When I heard what I felt was a change in the sound, we are talking about very loud levels; definitely above comfortable listening.
    HT: Marantz SR-8300, Emotiva XPA-3 (arrives today!), 5X GR Research A/V-2s, Adire Audio Tempest 15" sub, Oppo BDP-83SE, RC2000MkII, Panamax 5100, Panamax Max2 sub, PS3 Slim120G, PS3 60G (250G)

System Two: Marantz PM-7200 Integrated, GR Research A/V-1s, Panasonic BD-60, Denon 2900, RC3200 remote

My HT

I am currently throwing 500wpc at my 340SE's!
    -curtis

Curtis,
    What are your impressions at 500WPC instead of the typical 80-100WPC?

Quote Originally Posted by tilt
    Curtis,
    What are your impressions at 500WPC instead of the typical 80-100WPC?
    Honestly, at normal listening levels, little or no difference. I think it is more of an issue of having quality amplification. I also made the change in wattage about the same time I upgraded to SE's....so tough to tell what made the biggest difference.

I do think that I can play the system louder and cleaner than with less wattage though.

Honestly though, I think the sound of the system is so good right now, I am just trying to find excuses or "reasons" to try different things. What I would really like to have now is a recliner in the listening position.
    -curtis

Default misc

I definitely noticed an improvement in sound quality between my entry level Sony Home Theatre receiveer to my AVR 140 H/K. But i have to wonder if the "quality" can get much better than that. I'm definitely not so much of an audiophile that i'd spend 3K for a Clarion amp or something just so that i try to listen really closely to even tell a difference over a H/K. The specs for the H/K (quality, not watts) are pretty impressive, and are the same for all of their receivers.

I'm also never going to turn my stereo up so loud, that my ears would damage so i just have no need for the massive wattages. I cant even detech a hint of distortion up until the point that the volume starts to hurt.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Clarion doesn't make home gear, AFAIK.

YES, the quality can get better than the H/K 140. As Curtis mentioned though, more power really doesn't change the sound, it simply affords you the abiltiy to play clearly at higher levels as well as basically always having enough power at lower levels. Just becusae you don't think you are hearing distortion doesn't mean it isn't occurring.

My HT