Thread: Sig.........

Default Sig.........

Hello people would any of you care to explain to me how the Acend 340mSE compares to say the Axiom M60 or the Polk Rti8? I have noticed that I seem to prefer sound that is slightly forward but yet not overly bright. For example, the B&W DM602S3 sounded very good to me but preferred the Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's much more. The reason being the Studio 20 was more crisp and clear with extremely tight well controlled articulation. Imaging is just awesome. My question is are the Ascends more "laid back" kinda like the British speakers or are they more agressive similiar to the Paradigms??? The Axioms are often described as bright BUT personally when I got to hear them they were anything but bright. In fact, they were more detailed along the mid and high ranges than my Studio 20's. However, the 20's had noticeably better imaging. Many people dont like Polk but I do. That is, the Polks RTi's are very crisp and clear and are NOT overly bright. I consider Klipsch speakers to be the most overly bright and agressive speakers period and that is the very reason I will never own them. So, peole where do the Ascends fall in sound wise??? Are they laid back and polite with a lushy sound similiar to the B&WDM602S3 or are they a bit forward like the Studio 20 v.3's or do they have as good as detail as the Axioms??? How is the imaging when compared to the Studio 20 v.3's??? I would appreciate your help. I have tried and tried to get a demo but to no avail. In particular, I want to know how the classic 340's compare to the SE 340's. Have a great day.
    Last edited by soundfreak38; 06-25-2006 at 07:22 AM.
    Tame the peaks, minimize the dips/nulls and ONLY then are YOU on YOUR way to bass nirvana!

Come on people please respond. Almost every time I post I get very little advice. Am I doing something wrong here? Just want some advice given I can't seem to obtain a demo. Surely, some of you have either owned or heard some of the speakers I need some comparisons to.
    Tame the peaks, minimize the dips/nulls and ONLY then are YOU on YOUR way to bass nirvana!

It is slow around here on Sundays.

I have heard the classic 340's and M60's in the same room and same equipment on a couple of different occasions. The classics only gave up some bass extension to the M60s, the no loss in detail, but IMO a more natural sound and better imaging(this is something that is very room and setup dependent). The 340SE's have more bass extension than the classics, IMO, a bit more detail top to bottom, nicer highs, more transparent throughout.

I have compared classic 340's to Studio 60's at my a local shop and they can more than hold thier own with them.

I am not fond of the B&W 600 series sound, and I am not familiar with the Polks.

If you can swing it, I suggest doing the 30 day trial thing, ask your local shops if you can bring a pair of speakers in to compare. Also, ask the M60 owner if you can bring Ascends over to compare as well.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    It is slow around here on Sundays.

I have heard the classic 340's and M60's in the same room and same equipment on a couple of different occasions. The classics only gave up some bass extension to the M60s, the no loss in detail, but IMO a more natural sound and better imaging(this is something that is very room and setup dependent). The 340SE's have more bass extension than the classics, IMO, a bit more detail top to bottom, nicer highs, more transparent throughout.

I have compared classic 340's to Studio 60's at my a local shop and they can more than hold thier own with them.

I am not fond of the B&W 600 series sound, and I am not familiar with the Polks.

If you can swing it, I suggest doing the 30 day trial thing, ask your local shops if you can bring a pair of speakers in to compare. Also, ask the M60 owner if you can bring Ascends over to compare as well.
    Thank you Curtis for responding to my inquiry. I have not actually heard the M60's but rather the M80's and have been told by many that they sound identical with the M80's having the ability to play at higher volumes before clipping. I would love to own a set of the Studio 60's but they are way out of my price range. So, if you dont mind me asking are the newer SE version(s) more laid back sounding or are they a bit more aggressive while maintaining neutrality? For example, just did some extensive listening to the Infinity Beta 50's and they were very neutral sounding. In fact, the midrange was almost too real. However, the upper midrange and the high end sounded a bit recessed-not in such a way that it could not do better but more like a racing horse never allowed to get out of the running gate. Just too laid back for my tastes yet very neutral and detailed just the same. The Betas must be designed that way. I prefer a speaker to be a little more forward but not sounding harsh or grainy. IMHO, the Axioms do that really well and so does the Paradigm Studio 20's and the Polk Rti8's. The imaging is extraordinary on my Studio 20's. The Axioms are close and the Polk is very good as well. So, where does the 340SE fall in Curtis?

As for laid back or foward.....the Ascends are neither....they are "there". The speakers are neutral throughout.....definitely not harsh or grainy. The new Seas tweeter took care of that at high volumes.

As to which images better, like I mentioned before, that is highly room and setup dependent. Ascends image great, but to rank them would be impossible without having them in the same setup. The CBM-170SE can compete head to head with the Studio 20 in just about all aspects IMO.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    As for laid back or foward.....the Ascends are neither....they are "there". The speakers are neutral throughout.....definitely not harsh or grainy. The new Seas tweeter took care of that at high volumes.

As to which images better, like I mentioned before, that is highly room and setup dependent. Ascends image great, but to rank them would be impossible without having them in the same setup. The CBM-170SE can compete head to head with the Studio 20 in just about all aspects IMO.
    Okay thanks Curtis for taking the time to respond yet again. Just trying to get an idea of how the Ascends sound. Very glad to hear they are not "laid-back". Just dont really care for that kind of sound. However, don't want a speaker that is overly aggressive and harsh either. Sounds like the Ascends may be a good fit. Hopefully, I will be able to give them a try real soon. I get to demo the Rockets sometime this week and just recently got to hear the Axiom Epic 80. I must say I was very impressed. Have a great day.