Thread: Placing CBM-170 or HTM-200 on their sides as a centre?

Default Placing CBM-170 or HTM-200 on their sides as a centre?

I am eagerly awaiting delivery of 340SE mains and am hoping i like them enough to purchase more. I figured since I will emphasize 2 channel music most these were the best speakers to dip my toe in so to speak to see if Ascend's are all they are cracked up to be

However, my current TV stand is 20.5 wide and cannot accomodate the 340 centre. I will check with the mains in case they 'just' fit.

So I am now toying with the idea of getting a 170 or 200 for a centre but it would need to lay on it's side as the space isn't tall enough to accomodate them upright. Is this recommended? Pro's/con's?

I'm actually not very worried about not having the 340 centre quality as the 170 at least seems to be a great performer and I love HT but personally am nowhere near as picky about my centre channel. I had the expensive, huge cc before and HT is just so much more forgiving than music it's not a worthwhile difference for me.

Before the 340 existed, many of us ran 170s or 200s as centers. I used a 170 on its side as my center. Nothing wrong with doing that.