Thread: Dipoles old and busted?

Default Dipoles old and busted?

I've read on AVS and other sites suggesting that dipoles really aren't all that any more with the advent of 7.1 speaker setup, and that dipole hype nowadays is just manufacturer propaganda. Any thoughts on this claim??

using dipoles and 7.1 are two different things...

7.1 you have 4 rear channels...side left, side right, rear left and rear right...all outputting a different signal

dipoles/bipoles are used to make the sides more diffuse. I have used bi-poles for sides in a 7.1 setup with great success.

7.1 and dipoles are not mutually exclusive.

Di-poles use to be part of the THX standards back in the Pro-Logic days when the processor was creating the surround effect by matrixing the 2 channel sound track and the diffuse sound from di-poles helped create the effect. Now movies are recorded in 5.1 with sound engineers able to put sound were they want and di-poles have been dropped from the THX standards.
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-23-2006 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    Di-poles use to be part of the THX standards back in the Pro-Logic days when the processor was creating the surround effect by matrixing the 2 channel sound track and the diffuse sound from di-poles helped create the effect. Now movies are recorded in 5.1 with sound engineers able to put sound were they want and di-poles have been dropped from the THX standards.
    That's what I'm getting at. With the advent of THX, are dipoles obsolete? If dipoles are dropped for use with 5.1, then should completely dipoles be out of the question for 7.1?

Quote Originally Posted by sharerware
    That's what I'm getting at. With the advent of THX, are dipoles obsolete? If dipoles are dropped for use with 5.1, then should completely dipoles be out of the question for 7.1?
    some people run bi/dipoles some don't...most don't care about what THX or Dolby say, but rather how it sounds to to their ears and how it works in their room and situation Some people prefer a more diffused sound while others like the pin point accuracy of the direct radiators. It's a hobby, there are no set rules and standards, its all just guidelines...so no, I don't think they are obsolete.