Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dipole Surround Suggestions w/Ascends

Default Dipole Surround Suggestions w/Ascends

I'm just about certain that I'll buy Ascends for LCRs with a HSU sub, but I'm heavily leaning towards buying dipoles for surrounds due to the medium/small room I'm building my HT in (14x18). My question is what dipole surrounds match well with the Ascend 340s? I've seen the Axiom QS8s listed, but I'm wondering what other dipoles also work well with the Ascends.

I've considered the HTM-200s for surrounds, but everything I've read suggests most HT viewers lean towards dipoles rather than directs.

Thanks for any help.

Before you decide between di-pole/bi-pole and direct, I suggest you try and compare probably setup systems that utilize both.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Before you decide between di-pole/bi-pole and direct, I suggest you try and compare probably setup systems that utilize both.
    Would you mind expanding on this? I'm not quite sure I know what you mean. Thanks.

Some prefer direct over dipole/bipole and vice versa. Pinpoint accuracy vs enveloping sound. You need to spend time with both before you decide.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Some prefer direct over dipole/bipole and vice versa. Pinpoint accuracy vs enveloping sound. You need to spend time with both before you decide.
    You're absolutely right, and I want to compare. I just need to know what to compare the directs to. Specifically what radiating speakers to compare Ascend direct surrounds to. Do you have any recommendations on what dipole speakers match well with Ascends?

Quote Originally Posted by sharerware
    You're absolutely right, and I want to compare. I just need to know what to compare the directs to. Specifically what radiating speakers to compare Ascend direct surrounds to. Do you have any recommendations on what dipole speakers match well with Ascends?
    you can try a set of athena as-r1 bi/tri-poles for comparison.

or try pointing your direct radiators towards the ceiling to see if you like the reflected sound better.

its worth noting that you can make a direct radiating speaker sound diffuse by aming them away from the sweet spot and against something reflective, but you cannot turn a bipole into a direct radiating speaker...
    Last edited by PLincoln; 06-23-2006 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PLincoln
    you can try a set of athena as-r1 bi/tri-poles for comparison.

or try pointing your direct radiators towards the ceiling to see if you like the reflected sound better.

its worth noting that you can make a direct radiating speaker sound diffuse by aming them away from the sweet spot and against something reflective, but you cannot turn a bipole into a direct radiating speaker...
    To some degree.....maybe. I had direct radiating speakers to the sides and slightly above the main seating position, aimed at each other. This worked well for the most part, but you could localize effects at times. After replacing them with Axiom quadpolar QS-8's the improvement was dramatic. Much more enveloping and even more dynamic. I have heard the argument that if you are only running 5.1 then bi-poles/di-poles are the way to go. If you are running 6/7.1, then use bi/di-poles on the sides and direct radiating in the back, with the backs setup for MC music.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Ok, I've seen Athenas and Axioms mentioned. Any others work well?

My only comment is, aren't you supposed to be able to localize many surround sounds? Not all of it is supposed to be diffused.
    Jon O.

Since the "Q"s are wired in-phase, they are more or less directional. Di-poles are wired out-of-phase and are not localizable, and you get a null in the response due to this. The in-phase, quad-polar design of the "Q" speaker gives it semi-directional sound when needed, plus the 4-drivers firing in 4 different directions give it exceptional dispersion/envelopment as well. They really need to be auditioned to let your ears judge for themselves. If you were local you could stop by!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables