Thread: Short listening session

Make sure you post the results right here.

Well....we'll see. It is nothing formal. If anything, it will be real quick impressions.

-curtis

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

Well....we'll see. It is nothing formal. If anything, it will be real quick impressions.

-curtis
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Curtis,

Formal review or not... I too would be interested if you can find time to post your "initial" impressions of the different speakers..?? I think we can "pre-qualify" your opinions as less than optimal conditions, but I am a little curious too, like ClutchBrake..?? Thanks for considering this humble request.. [^]

Dave.

OK...here you go...it was a fun outting....

So today, a few of us listened to the Paradigm Studio 60v3, the B&W CDM NT7, and brought along the Ascend CMT-340. Everything was driven by a Sunfire Ultimate Receiver, and they used a Kenwood CD-changer...do not know the model.

So a quick couple of one or two liners:

The Studio 60v3 - I was the least impressed with. On the bright side, and not very smooth. As one of the guys said "it sounds dirty".

The CDM NT7 - I liked this speaker a lot....smooth and balanced, very nice detail and seperation. I would not mind having this speaker, I just don't want to pay for it. I would like to hear the new 700 series that replaced these.

The CMT-340 - after hearing the above two speakers, I am even more happy with the cost/performance ratio of them. They hung right in there with the CDM NT7's. Not as good bass extension, and not quite as nice seperation.

Oh...and the guy buying speakers went to listen to some Axiom M60's afterwards.

In the end, the he says he will get a pair of CMT-340's for 30 days and drive them around to compare. He will keep them unless he finds somethingelse he can justify buying.

Happy Holidays....I got soooo much more shopping to do.

-curtis

thanks for sharing.. and I can see why you felt necessary to qualify your impressions this time, given the critiques of your previous comparison gathering.

I think I saw it on the axiom forum, if I remember correctly.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

The CDM NT7 - I liked this speaker a lot....smooth and balanced, very nice detail and seperation. I would not mind having this speaker, I just don't want to pay for it. I would like to hear the new 700 series that replaced these.

The CMT-340 - after hearing the above two speakers, I am even more happy with the cost/performance ratio of them. They hung right in there with the CDM NT7's. Not as good bass extension, and not quite as nice seperation.

-curtis
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Curtis,

I too want to thank you for your quick impressions. I was mostly curious what you would think of the B&Ws? I have heard both the Paradigms and B&Ws months before I had a chance to listen to your Ascends. I've always really liked the sound of the CDM NTs, and was just curious about your own impressions. My experience matches up to yours yesterday. Once I heard your 340s though.... I just haven't been able to get over the price/performance and for me, it isn't a decision any longer. So, I am focused on how/when I can order my own Ascend set-up. I know you're busy, so thanks again for giving in to our urging you to post your thoughts.

Dave.

I've listened to the CDMNT 7 and CDMNT 1 at numerous stores.
    I've them hooked up the Marantz, NAD, Sunfire, Yamaha.

Nad gave the CDM's the warmest, most balanced sound.
    However, I still felt like the highs were a little over pronounced.
    If you listen to rock/metal, the highs in the recordings do not go very well with the CDM's.

They have great speration of the highs/lows, but almost excessively.
    At higher volumes, the highs were pretty fatiguing.
    The CDM's DO image very nicely, however with the improper amp or music, they are a little thin and grating.

The $500 CMT-340's held up fairly well against the $2000 CDM 7NT's.
    The 340's didn't quite have the imaging but seemed like a more balanced speaker. Both sounded nice.

The CMT-340 is easliy better sounding than both the B&W 600 series and the CM series.

I listened to some Axioms. They sounded allright. I felt like the highs were overpronounced. The highs also did not have the clarity or imaging of the CDM NT's.
    Not a bad speaker, but with the Axioms, I felt like you get what you pay for.

With the Ascends, it feels like you get a lot more than you pay for.

They held up very nicely against the Paradigm STudio 60 v.3, and the B&W CDMNT 7, which says a lot.

Curtis,

I enjoy reading the comparisons you and the others ( from different forums, av123 etc.) perform between rival speakers. Im interested in hearing Axioms, Rockets and whatever else you guys have on board .I just recently got a car ( im 18) and would be more than happpy to attend one of these sessions, if invited. Please let me know when another session is going to take place.

Thanks, David