Thread: 2-Fold..........

Default 2-Fold..........

Hello once again people I do have a Q: Why does Ascend NOT have a rear di-pole/bi-pole surround speaker? When it comes to watching dvd I prefer a more diffused sound and I do NOT listen to multi-channel audio. Therefore, I do not get any real advantage of using a direct firing rear speaker-well at least for my own personal application. Is there a di-pole/bi-pole in the works???? I also have been trying to obtain a demo w/in a reasonable driving distance from my home. I reside in the 270 area code and the 42420 zip code area. Am more than willing to drive an hour to and hour and a half one way if need be. I have checked the frappr map only to no avail. So, thought I would try my luck this way. Anyways, please help me out if you can w/respect to the rear surrounds. Keep in mind, that I will have a 5.1 system because there really is no room for the back surrounds as in a 7.1 configuration. Have a great evening.
    Phil
    Last edited by soundfreak38; 06-21-2006 at 09:19 PM.
    Tame the peaks, minimize the dips/nulls and ONLY then are YOU on YOUR way to bass nirvana!

Hello Hello Hello........is anybody out there........hhmmmm....kinda reminds me of that old Pink Floyd song...LOL!!!! Seriously, guess there are no "Ascenders" close to my area??? Okay so what about the di-pole/bi-pole question?
    Tame the peaks, minimize the dips/nulls and ONLY then are YOU on YOUR way to bass nirvana!

I'm in Alabama, so not much help there. There is a guy named Aaron that posts here who I believe lives in Tennessee. Not sure where, though. As far as the di/bi pole speaker question, I've heard it said that THX prefers dipoles and Dolby specs monopoles because the movies are mixed with monopoles. Back in the ProLogic days when we didn't have discreet surrounds, dipoles worked best. Today, however many feel that monopoles give you the sound that was intended. Personal preference really, and that is a very basic, general answer. I'm sure someone else may be able to explain it better or link to a discussion that does a better job than I just did. Bottom line, so far Ascend has chosen to go monopole only. Don't know if this will change in the future, but I've seen some on here who use Axiom's QS-4's or QS-8's with good results. This is an omnipole speaker that seems to give people the diffuse sound they want. Hope that helped.
    - EVH III

I use Axiom QS-8's with excellent results. I won a contest over there to name their new on-wall/in-wall speaker line, and was supposed to win a set of those new speakers but I had no use for them, so they allowed me to select anything equivalent to the value. I almost went for a pair of M22Ti bookshelf speakers, but I did not think they would improve upon my 170's. Since I had cheap monopole 2-way bookshelves as surrounds, that was the area needing the upgrade. The Q's work wonderfully and make a huge difference in the surroundfield. They are not cheap, and prices just increased over their entire line. They are now $530/pr. If I had not won these I could never afford them, but if you desire a multi-polar speaker for surround these are tough to beat.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by soundfreak38
    Hello Hello Hello........is anybody out there........hhmmmm....kinda reminds me of that old Pink Floyd song...LOL!!!! Seriously, guess there are no "Ascenders" close to my area??? Okay so what about the di-pole/bi-pole question?
    I'm not sure if there are any Ascend folks near you, but its safe to say there aren't many Ascend folks reading the forum between 10pm and 5am (my time zone stamps).

It was you who I was thinking of, Mag, when mentioning the QS's. Just couldn't put the name with the speaker. The old brain just ain't what it used to be.
    - EVH III

Eddie, you know what they say.......the older we get, the more we "used" to know!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    I use Axiom QS-8's with excellent results. I won a contest over there to name their new on-wall/in-wall speaker line, and was supposed to win a set of those new speakers but I had no use for them, so they allowed me to select anything equivalent to the value. I almost went for a pair of M22Ti bookshelf speakers, but I did not think they would improve upon my 170's. Since I had cheap monopole 2-way bookshelves as surrounds, that was the area needing the upgrade. The Q's work wonderfully and make a huge difference in the surroundfield. They are not cheap, and prices just increased over their entire line. They are now $530/pr. If I had not won these I could never afford them, but if you desire a multi-polar speaker for surround these are tough to beat.
    Yeah many people seem to like the QS8's and can be had for $477 via the outlet. I have been considering it myself. Just prefer to stay w/in the same brand as far as speakers are concerned. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Horton
    It was you who I was thinking of, Mag, when mentioning the QS's. Just couldn't put the name with the speaker. The old brain just ain't what it used to be.
    LOL......I can definitely relate. Heck I forget my name sometimes............NAW!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    I'm not sure if there are any Ascend folks near you, but its safe to say there aren't many Ascend folks reading the forum between 10pm and 5am (my time zone stamps).
    So very true BUT do you like my Pink Floyd song........LOL????