Thread: I need some wiring help for 5.1 System...

Default I need some wiring help for 5.1 System...

Equipment
    Hitachi Ultravision 51" - 1 DVI and few component inputs
    Outlaw Audio Model 1070 A/V Receiver
    Oppo OPDV971H DVD Player
    CMT-340 SE (LCR)
    CBM-170 SE (Rears)
    SVS PB12-Plus/2
    Comcast HD Cable Box

What would be the best way to hook all of this stuff up and what types and lengths of wires would I need. My TV is a couple of years old, and I dont plan on upgrading it for at least another year or so. I am gettting ready to purchase the speakers, sub, receiver and dvd player and I just wanted to know the best way to go around wiring everything. A link would also be helpful, for some sort of wiring diagrams. Thanks in advance for the help...

Hook up your DVD player and comcast box using component video cable to the receiver and then a companonet cable from the receiver to the TV (or you may go directly from the components to the TV, skipping the receiver). For the audio use either a optical or digital coaxial cable and connect to receiver.

The sub will need a subwoofer cable. The speakers should have 12-14 gauge speaker wire.

Blue Jeans is a great source of cables. In general if you go into a store to buy cables I would not go with the super super cheap cables, but no reason to go for the more expensive cables either. I like the RadioShaq gold series. Avoid monster. As long as your not doing huge huge runs like 50 feet pluts, length does not matter.

EDIT!!!

Whoa, nevermind....your 1070 has dvi. Run two DVI cables to your outlaw receiver instead of component, and then one DVI cable from the Outlaw to your TV. THen you'll be golden.

I also second the use of Bluejeans cables for your cable needs (I have plenty and they work great)
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 06-20-2006 at 02:12 PM.
    Jon O.

Oops..missed the whole DVI thing...that should give you better picture then component...I would reccommend what Jonny suggests as well.

let us know if you need even more detailed info. such setups can be imposing to a first-timer
    Jon O.

do i still need the audio cables? or does dvi support the audio as well?

DVI does not support audio, so you still need an optical or coax running from you r DVD player and cable box to your receiver

thank you for all of the help, i think i am going to get an h/k 635 instead of the outlaw and i will just connect the oppo directly into my tv and use component cables for the rest...