Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Dave and Ascend users

Default Hey Dave and Ascend users

If someone was to duplicate the 340SE with a thicker real wood cabinet (using the exact internal volumes, drivers etc.) Do you think that would inhance the sound or hurt it? Also if there was one thing that would make the ascends sound better (money not being a factor) what would it be? Sound is the issue here, nothing else please. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by qqkltb
    If someone was to duplicate the 340SE with a thicker real wood cabinet (using the exact internal volumes, drivers etc.) Do you think that would inhance the sound or hurt it? Also if there was one thing that would make the ascends sound better (money not being a factor) what would it be? Sound is the issue here, nothing else please. Thank you
    i don't think what you will gain is worth the effort of doing it or voiding your warrenty. for an MTM design, the current cbinet is plenty heavy. ive seen cheapo subs that had thinner cabinet walls....

Real wood veneers are common but "real wood" is not used in any quality speaker. MDF is used for how little resonance it has.
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-17-2006 at 07:49 AM.

I would never actually attempt to modify them. I love the ascends sound. I asked myself this question and the cabinets is the only thing I could come up with. Solid speaker, solid performer! I know there are no such thing as a perfect speakers(at any price) that being said. I do believe that someone as knowlegdable as Dave could improve the sound quality. After all, he did already (340's - 340SE's). It has to be room for improvement on a pair of speaker that retails for less than $600.00. Right?

You said it yourself....there's room for improvement on any speaker.

First, you have to decide on what it is you want to improve.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis

Second, you havta decide how much it will cost. My guess is Ascend will come out with something besides basic black before this time next year. Seems to be a lotta buzz for it on the forum.

David

I remember Davef saying that there would be no sonic advantage to making a cabinet thicker or heavier. If you are interested in a furniture cabinet then veneering would be all that is necessary.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by curtis

The issue here is SOUND. Don't get me wrong folks, I'm am in no way knocking ascends. I'm just curious as to what would make these speakers sound even better. I've owned an Ascends 7.1 setup, sold them. Brought Paradigm Studio 60 from there went to Definitive Techs 7002 and from there B&W 700 series. None of them did for me what ascends have. I'll be ordering another Ascends 7.1 setup come Monday.

What in the "sound" do you want to improve? Once you know that, the speaker genious types(like DaveF) can address it.

I think a major advantage the Ascends have are the drivers. DaveF has said, the new drivers in the SE's are technically superior to that of the classics, which I think would equate to distortion and decay numbers.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by qqkltb
    The issue here is SOUND. Don't get me wrong folks, I'm am in no way knocking ascends. I'm just curious as to what would make these speakers sound even better. I've owned an Ascends 7.1 setup, sold them. Brought Paradigm Studio 60 from there went to Definitive Techs 7002 and from there B&W 700 series. None of them did for me what ascends have. I'll be ordering another Ascends 7.1 setup come Monday.
    Have you heard the SE version yet? IIRC you were looking at PSBs and Ascend's last spring. I think the SE version is a very nice improvement. If money was no issue the drivers could be SEAS W18EX series and the tweeter whichever SEAS driver inspired Dave to develop with SEAS the SEAS tweeter used in the Ascends. Of course the cost of those drivers and tweeter would be more than what a pair of 340s sell for now.
    Last edited by Quinn; 06-17-2006 at 01:46 PM.