Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: any professional reviews of the new 340s yet?

By definition, maybe not...but I've seen some that are not gushing and glowing which could be interpreted as negative by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by bri1270
    By definition, maybe not...but I've seen some that are not gushing and glowing which could be interpreted as negative by comparison.
    It's like letters of recommendation, then.

Yup.

And it's unfortunate that we have to read between the lines like that.

But, don't forget to consider that sometimes it's so obvious that something is plain horrible, so the reviewer's don't waste their time. That doesn't help those that don't pay attention to the market, the grape vine, or the general lay of the land (whatever you want to call it), but I'm guessing that it happens.
    Jon O.

Well, most speakers perform at least at a decent level. For good speakers, it's a matter of how good they sound (not many really sound bad besides the white van ilk of speakers), which may be objective/subjective for a reviewer. The reviews seem to try to find good things to say about speakers (unlike reviews for say movies or video games), something they do well. Speakers that do more things well will have reviews that get into those things better. If there's not much there, either the reviewer is lazy, there's not much space, or the lack of praise is a hint to read between the lines.

But it's kind of like cars. There aren't really any "bad" cars out there. Just varying degrees of performance, luxury, reliability, etc.

But in the magazines, anyway, a lot of the speaker reviews seem to be pretty generic, though. "All of the sound in the soundtrack was audible, coming from the correct speakers" is what many seem to read like (and I have read a lot of magazine reviews to kill time and try and learn stuff).

Except for exceptional equipment, here's the "read between the lines" version of many review's concluding paragraphs...

"....off all the speakers I have reviewed, this speaker is one of them."
    Jon O.

And "easily competes with speakers its price."

I mean, "easily competes with speakers 2-3x its price."
    That must mean that all the higher-priced speakers are over-priced, eh?

Ha Ha, yeah it's almost a cliche'. Every speaker sounds as good as speakers costing much more.

Then you also have to name every song you listened to, just to show off what great taste you have in music.

Quote Originally Posted by JackT
    Ha Ha, yeah it's almost a cliche'. Every speaker sounds as good as speakers costing much more.

Then you also have to name every song you listened to, just to show off what great taste you have in music.

I actually like when they talk about what music they tested on the speakers. I actually have the Bad Plus album the Good Sound reviewer talks about in his review of the 170s. Describing subtleties and observations they made is something I like very much. I know I have made a ton of observations in the few weeks I've had my Ascends/HSU. Including noticing that the voices of characters in Finding Nemo match their position on-screen, blending across the front soundstage, rather than just having on-screen characters' voices come out of the center channel. You can close your eyes and tell where the characters are on the screen. Even the sound of the hopping lamp in the Pixar logo intro pans across the front - close your eyes and you can point to where he is as he goes across the screen just from the sound. I can hear distinct sounds of instruments, at different locations in the soundstage (and I think I even heard a song where each of drums hit were in different locations in the center-to-right area - I wish I could remember what song it was). That's the kind of stuff I like to hear - how music sounds, instruments, different vocalists' voices.

Default AH thread...bet $5 it's deleted by the time you read this

Quote Originally Posted by halseff on audioholics forum
    Enthusiast

halseff is a forum member in good standing

Default Better be careful!

I posted a comment about how HK doesnt get reviewed by professional reviewers,
    I said,

"Its the boring truth, you have to pay to play"

I said nothing more.

This is what I got the next time I came back,

"You have been banned for the following reason:
    Violation of forum rules

Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

LOL! Ever notice how touchy administrators get when you mention advertising and money?

Good job Clint, keep "pursuing the truth!"
    And, I think we all know what the truth is..
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=24353
    Jon O.

Look at that....the thread was deleted.
    Jon O.