Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: any professional reviews of the new 340s yet?

Dunno, the more I read on that Audioholics site the more retarded they seem to me, despite their often gratuitous and ostentatious use of technobabble.

For one thing, their page with specific HT system recs for specific budgets is a freakin' joke. Their "$3000" system ($3K for audio only) included an STF-1 and a Yamaha soundbar...ROTFL!

The press releases and links in the discussion forum doesn't inspire confidence either. http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=23366

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    The press releases and links in the discussion forum doesn't inspire confidence either. http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=23366
    Yup, reads like a straight cut-and-paste from some advertising copy. Shameless.

That always bothered me too. That crap is supposed to go on a news page, you know?
    Jon O.

Ummm...that's what most publications do for items like product announcements - they reprint from press releases. In fact, they even note (at the top of the page on the full article) that it's an industry press release - it's a practice that's not limited to this website and is pretty widely accepted.

Yeah, but its annoying that its in the standard forum area. That's all. Not a "big deal" per se.

Edit: Now I think I just got into a bashing AH mood. Haha. I should stop
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 06-21-2006 at 10:11 AM.
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    Ummm...that's what most publications do for items like product announcements - they reprint from press releases. In fact, they even note (at the top of the page on the full article) that it's an industry press release - it's a practice that's not limited to this website and is pretty widely accepted.
    It is when they post it/link it in the forum that is my issue.

I would also like to see a Soundstage/GoodSound review. They have done the original 170s, and a 170/340C package as well. But you can never tell, because some of these sites have all sorts of reviewers, some who only do certain things (high end speakers, subs, whatever).

I also agree with the sentiments about inconsistent reviews on Secrets (cables) and AH.

User reviews can also be overly gushing, but I tend to put more weight with ones written by people who talk about their experience listening to/auditioning/owning a lot of speakers, etc.

As with all things, take reviews with a healthy helping of salt, and let your own eyes and ears be the judge.

Professional reviews if done favorably, can be a very strong marketing tool. Not everyone uses the forums as a research tool. Some, I would say most, actually look for pro reviews when researching a purchase. Google a speaker name with the word "reviews" after it and it's usually the pro stuff that pops up in the first few hits. Obviously, and in contrast, a sub par professional review can have a negative marketing impact. I would also say that most of the average consumers don't lend a forum posted user review much credence. If forums ruled the roost, would Monster and **** still be in business?

Based on the series of events, my lack of faith in anyone that has ties to financial sponsors (including the government and politicians), and my experience in sales and marketing, I would say screw Audioholics, Ascend doesn't need their review, which I think would come off as indifferent at best. This is all in my opinion of course. I could be dead wrong...believe it or not it's happened once or twice before...just ask my wife.

I say we start another thread over there...fuel the controversy...Maybe a thread that asks the question..."why was the Ascend thread deleted..." or "Anti-Ascend at Audioholics...why all the Hate?" or maybe "You can take down our Ascend thread, but you'll never take our ... Freeedoooooom!"

Let's go kick some Ass!
    Last edited by bri1270; 06-23-2006 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bri1270
    sub par professional review can have a negative marketing impact.

It seems like there are seldom negative reviews of anything. Maybe it's just my imagination....