Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Squeezebox sound quality vs CD, and Panny XR55 info

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    I found that I liked the 340SE when playing in stereo and in full range, so I think the problem is that the crossover (100hz) is too high.

What I'd like to do is have the speakers set to 'large' with sub on for 2 channel (music) and 'small' for multichannel (movies), but it seems like I'd have to switch this manually every time because the Panny can't remember the settings. Have you found this to be true?
    Hi Grayson,

Your experience with the XR-55 was much like mine... I very much liked the performance when the default settings were turned off and the unit was running full range. However, something was off when the high-pass filter was enabled. I think I am going to run some frequency sweeps on the receiver to try and see exactly what it is doing... My unit did not "remember" the settings when turned off so I found that especially annoying, 100Hz crossover setting with NO sub can sound pretty bright... Still, we paid $230 for the unit.. remarkable at that price.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I thought the change from 100hz to 80hz would be so small that I wouldn't notice a difference but I did. It's been several months since I experimented with the crossover but the 100hz setting seemed much closer to the higher settings than to the 80hz setting. I'm satisfied with the 80hz setting but I'd pick-up a Panny with a lower (<70hz) crossover if it were offered.

David

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Hi Grayson,

Your experience with the XR-55 was much like mine... I very much liked the performance when the default settings were turned off and the unit was running full range. However, something was off when the high-pass filter was enabled. I think I am going to run some frequency sweeps on the receiver to try and see exactly what it is doing... My unit did not "remember" the settings when turned off so I found that especially annoying, 100Hz crossover setting with NO sub can sound pretty bright... Still, we paid $230 for the unit.. remarkable at that price.
    I actually have the XR-50 and was thinking that the 100hz crossover was the issue. How did you feel with the 80Hz crossover on the XR-55?

I was thinking about picking up the XR-57 for the 80hz crossover and the dual-amping in 5.1 mode.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    You need to qualify it even more....what kind of files?

My Squeezebox does not surpass the SQ of my Denon 2900.
    Curtis,

What type of files are you playing through your Squeezebox and how are you connecting it to your receiver?

Curtis,

What type of files are you playing through your Squeezebox and how are you connecting it to your receiver?
    Until this past weekend, I had pretty much just been using MP3 256kbps. Then I ripped three discs to FLAC. It is hooked up via the optical digital.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Until this past weekend, I had pretty much just been using MP3 256kbps. Then I ripped three discs to FLAC. It is hooked up via the optical digital.

Curtis, I think you promised us a review of the FLAC rip (vs MP3). Did I miss it somewhere?

Randy

Or maybe it was FLAC vs CD. Either way I'm interested.

Randy

I have not tried the analog side of the Squeezbox, but with FLAC and using the DACs on the pre/pro, I can not tell the difference from CD.
    -curtis

So there is no improvement from CD to FLAC?

Since I was disappointed with the CD performance of my DVP-NS75H, I was wondering if getting a Squeezebox would be an improvement. It certainly is more convenient!

So there is no improvement from CD to FLAC?

Since I was disappointed with the CD performance of my DVP-NS75H, I was wondering if getting a Squeezebox would be an improvement. It certainly is more convenient!
    Compared to my garden variety DVD/CD player the sound quality of the Squeezebox was much better. The Squeezebox and its' offshoots and modifications are the rage on audiophile forums and from my experience this is not hype. IMO you would be better off selling your cd player, unless it is an extremely good unit and invest in a computer based audio playback system. It is not only about convenience but also about improved SQ. Here is a link to the Audio Circle, the Square circle, which you might find informative.

Raja

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...1d4440e8475e57