Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Squeezebox sound quality vs CD, and Panny XR55 info

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    I don't think the problem is with the Ascends but with the Panny. Raja
    It's fine that you express this opinion but it's not widely held. I, along with others on this Forum, have found the Panny to be an excellent match for the Ascends.
    I think Brad has expressed what I feel is the best course of action.

David

Dave,

Of course, it is only my opinion but if you go to some other forums a common complaint issued by owners of the cheaper digital amps is the "digital sheen" which could even drive some to tubes. I think that it is wise to wait for the advanced technology involved in digital amps to mature for a couple more years to trickle down to mass marketed AVR's. However, there are some expensive digital separates that have been recieving very good reviews. Also there some economical DIY digital solutions that are making waves.

Raja

Thanks for the responses. I think what I'm hearing is the same thing that Rajacat is hearing.

I will try what Cyberbri suggests. I have DVE and will try a frequency sweep just to make sure. Phase on my sub is currently set to 0.

I understand what everyone is saying and have no doubt that classical, jazz, and acoustic instruments will sound great. The problem is that I'm more into pop, rock, and R&B.

If you're saying that most of these mainstream CDs aren't recorded well, I suppose that means there's not much I can do.

I do think that the speakers are accurate so I thought it might be that the CD isn't being transferred to the speakers accurately. If it's a bad quality recording, I guess I can't do anything about it unless I want to 'color' the sound

I just read the XR55 owner thread. It's comforting (and also depressing) that others are hearing the same thing I'm hearing with the XR50.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1554

I hope the XR57 is an improvement SQ wise compared to the XR50.

Supposedly, there aren't any receivers than can compete with these in the sub $300 category.

Greyson,

Try Audiogon for a quality used AVR. Here is a nice Pioneer...$275. Of course there is some risk buying online but I have had nothing but good luck. Check the seller's feedback.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....cvr&1153334716

Raja

Try some analog interconnects and see if your like your CDP's DACs better. I've heard the XR-55 and I too think it is bright.

You might look into a refurb HK receiver from Harmanaudio. I picked up a refurb AVR330 for under $300 including shipping last year. Ascend also has new HK receivers for sale on this website.

One thing I really like about the HKs that pertains to speaker setup is the great bass management features. I have crossover points of 40, 60, 80, 100, 120 and 200Hz (independent per fronts, center, surrounds), and speaker settings and channel levels are independent per audio sound mode. I really like the remote, too, especially much much better than the Panasonic remote on my father's 2ndary system.

Looking at the S&V review of the Panny XR-70, I compared it to their review of the Harmy-Kardy AVR330. I posted the following on AVS, but I'll post it here as well:

HK 330 review
    http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1

Panny XR-70 review
    http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...article_id=806

Here are the technical specs for the HK 330 - note this is rated 55x7 or 65x2 into 8 ohms:
    http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...2004163324.pdf

And Panny XR-70, 100x6 into 6 ohms:
    http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/ass...SA-XR70lab.pdf

Not to start a flame war with this, but I just thought comparing the actual power measurements was very interesting. The measured power output is very close to being the same on single channel and stereo, although the Panny does about 10 more watts on DD with 6 channels driven than the HK with 5 channels driven. And the HK is rated at 55wpc x 7 at 8 ohms, while the Panny is rated at 100wpc x 6 at 6 ohms.

I've known for a while that HK receivers/amps are underrated and perform very well (that's why I went with another HK, the 330, when I upgraded from an HK AVR125), but this is another moment that puts power ratings into perspective.

There is also a big difference in unclipped subwoofer output (volts), although I'm not quite sure exactly what this is, except that the higher the number the better and means less distortion.
    Last edited by cyberbri; 05-25-2006 at 04:09 PM.

Dave,
    Of course, it is only my opinion but if you go to some other forums
    Is this meant as a joke?

a common complaint issued by owners of the cheaper digital amps is the "digital sheen" which could even drive some to tubes.
    "a common complaint?" Please do elaborate. And not with generalities, please.

I think that it is wise to wait for the advanced technology involved in digital amps to mature for a couple more years to trickle down to mass marketed AVR's.
    That's nice. Your experience isn't going to do me much good. Probably vice versa. I've been in this hobby since the early 70's. I've got an idea what works. If your experience is different, no problem. Some folks can hear grass grow. Some can't.

However, there are some expensive digital separates that have been recieving very good reviews. Also there some economical DIY digital solutions that are making waves.Raja
    I'm in the school that says you don't always get what ya pay for. My speakers and my receiver are in that genre.

David
    Last edited by bikeman; 05-25-2006 at 07:49 PM.

Grayson,

Three possible reasons I can see for your experience:

1. CD playback through your DVD player is poor --- some will disagree but IME most low-cost DVD players simply do not do music very well for whatever reason, and the Ascend/Panny combo might highlight this more than others

2. CD playback through digital connection to xr55 --- I much prefer to use my Marantz CD player's DAC via an analog connection, can hear a definitely brighter "edge" when using the Panny's DAC

3. Some people are simply more sensitive to what is called a "bright" sound than others...could be varying degrees of natural adult hearing loss in the higher frequencies for all we know.

Probably the best way to find out is to borrow a friend's analog receiver, or "borrow" one from BB/CC using their liberal return policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    Thanks for the responses. I think what I'm hearing is If you're saying that most of these mainstream CDs aren't recorded well, I suppose that means there's not much I can do.

I do think that the speakers are accurate so I thought it might be that the CD isn't being transferred to the speakers accurately. If it's a bad quality recording, I guess I can't do anything about it unless I want to 'color' the sound
    Grayson,

Sell the CD player and get a Squeezbox or some other computer/entertainment system interface device. You get better, for the most part, sound quality and the convenience factor of having your whole CD collection at your fingertips irresistible unless you're a vinyl freak.

Raja