Thread: Speaker wire

Default Speaker wire

Whats the scoop on flat speaker wire? It sure looks like it would make running wire a lot easier.
    Bob
    Last edited by rtthinker; 06-08-2006 at 10:08 AM.

Yes, but it costs a lot more, and the truly flat wire is a little bit hard to terminate.

I use AlphaCore MI1 speaker cable which is a flat ribbon speaker cable. Solid core, minimal dielectric and 13 guage. They are available online. I have a closet full of other cable brands and the MI1 bests them all. My CBM 170 SE's sound best with those cables.
    JohnMichael

System

Rega Planar 2 turntable modified
    Benz MC Gold
    Cambridge Audio 640P phono preamp
    Marantz CD5001 cd player

Onkyo A 9555 int. amp

Ascend Acoustics CBM 170SE speakers

Ultralink MX-2 speaker cables
    AlphaCore and AR interconnects

Default Re: Speaker wire

Well i according to me most of speakers don't include speaker wire, and to choos them from the available makes us confuse. The wire you use can have a noticeable impact on the sound quality of your system. My best option is to solder an rca plug on the end of a length of speaker wire.

Default Re: Speaker wire

snicker snicker...sounds best. I don't know about flat wires, but i needed white cable to run for my heights. Couldn't get to the mounting position from the attic so I had to run it along the ceiling/wall trim. I found 16 gauge electrical cord worked awesome. As far as sound, it sounds the same as my 16 gauge speaker wire i used for the rest of my system.